Euro 2020, who's watching?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We didn't score in 88 minutes I don't think his choice of subs was the big issue.
Every man and his dog could see that we were being overrun in midfield once Italy made their subs in the lead up to the equaliser. Even the Scots I was with were asking why we weren’t making a change.

Last edited:
So why not make a change, see if things could go their way with a change in system and personnel?

I am not a big football fan so may be wrong but I do agree with this, after half time Italy dominated the game and to my untrained eye looked to be well on top , unlike Denmark who looked to be fading.

It was almost a reluctance to bring on more attacking players and go try and win the game and get some control in midfield.

Think Southgate and England should be immensley proud.

This sounds crazy but scoring early was England's downfall. They panicked and stopped playing. I think it was rice in the first half the ball dropped to him and he just laced it up the pitch to no one.
England have arguably one of the best squads in the world at the minute.

Playing 5 at the back and 2 holding midfielder's allowed Italy to control the game.
It worked in the first half, but as soon as Italy made their subs we didn’t know what to do.

I know I’m not a football manager but I thought in the lead up to the goal we actually could do with bringing Henderson in for Mount to get back in the game, then once we’d got a bit of control back we could have made a more attacking change.

This sounds crazy but scoring early was England's downfall. They panicked and stopped playing. I think it was rice in the first half the ball dropped to him and he just laced it up the pitch to no one.
England have arguably one of the best squads in the world at the minute.
TBF to Rice I think last night is the furthest I’ve seen him come out of his own half - I thought he was going to have a nosebleed!

It worked in the first half, but as soon as Italy made their subs we didn’t know what to do.

I know I’m not a football manager but I thought in the lead up to the goal we actually could do with bringing Henderson in for Mount to get back in the game, then once we’d got a bit of control back we could have made a more attacking change.
I would of brought grealish on earlier and try and get up the pitch. Also would of hooked Kane of for Rashford and went with pace on the break.

I would of brought grealish on earlier and try and get up the pitch. Also would of hooked Kane of for Rashford and went with pace on the break.

Agree with Grealish, he should have come on instead of saka who didnt impress me. Would of been a brave man to take of Kane though. Not sure if any manager in the world would have done that.

I should know, I won the champs league with ifk gothenburg on cm01/02 making tough decisions like that.

Southgate got the subs wrong yet again

My earlier reply was to the post above, I don't disagree he should have brought players on earlier but I read it as he chose the wrong players when he did eventually make the change not that the timing was wrong.

Last edited:
Oh dear. How sad. Never mind

What is sad is the amount of racist abuse some of the players have received especially Rashford, 5 live have had lots of calls about it again this morning, violence outside the ground has also been discussed, its a shame some so called fans are scum.

Sticking seemed to work against Denmark when they made 4-5 changes just before extra time.
Denmark weren't dominating the game like Italy were. England were on top for 30 minutes and played really well. After that Italy got on the ball, started passing quickly and moving the ball around. England did well defensively, you can't sit back for 90 minutes and expect to win the game.

What is sad is the amount of racist abuse some of the players have received especially Rashford, 5 live have had lots of calls about it again this morning, violence outside the ground has also been discussed, its a shame some so called fans are scum.
Certainly agree with that, sadly, all too predictable

The violence showed to the Italian fans after the game is shocking. Who in their right mind would take their family to an England game when you have so called fans acting like that. Ban England from the next tournament

same old England. Tactically outthought. It started well and Italy looked out of ideas, resorting to long shots etc. But they changed it and once again we did nothing to react

it always the same, we sit deep, can’t put two passes together and rely on individuals dribbling Into dead ends. This could have been any competition exit from the last 23 years. We were lucky to make penalties.
im not upset about losing, Im upset at seeing that awful second half, a team bereft of ideas.It seems it doesn’t matter who the manager is, who the players are, that seems to be our DNA.

Back