EV's.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current EV's are not really designed for touring the world and as the OP says Nissan will lend you a petrol or diesel if you need to make long journeys.

Er ... my nearest Nissan Dealer is 28.7 miles away - unfortunately The Wash is in the way; and the second nearest Dealer is at Grimsby which is 31.5 miles away

So what happens if I just want to tow my caravan from the local caravan store to my home to get it ready for a holiday?

The caravan store is only 3 miles away but I would have to drive:
  • My EV 31.5 miles to pick up a petrol car.
  • The petrol car 66 miles to and from my home via the caravan store.
  • My EV 31.5 miles back home.
A 129 mile round trip and all I've done is move my caravan 3 miles to my home.

If they just produce the EV's that are currently on offer, they will kill the Touring Caravan market; and quite possibly kill the Motorhome market as well.

Er ... my nearest Nissan Dealer is 28.7 miles away - unfortunately The Wash is in the way; and the second nearest Dealer is at Grimsby which is 31.5 miles away

So what happens if I just want to tow my caravan from the local caravan store to my home to get it ready for a holiday?

The caravan store is only 3 miles away but I would have to drive:
  • My EV 31.5 miles to pick up a petrol car.
  • The petrol car 66 miles to and from my home via the caravan store.
  • My EV 31.5 miles back home.

If they just produce the EV's that are currently on offer, they will kill the Touring Caravan market; and quite possibly kill the Motorhome market as well.
You could always go for the Tesla SUV which will pull 2,270 kg, I'm not even going to check on the price though.
The Nissan Leaf is perfect for me although you can ignore the claimed 235 mile range claimed by the makers, 190 is the best I've managed if I drive carefully. The 60w model coming out next year will probably achieve 235 miles.

As i said current EV's are not designed for touring (or pulling caravans) therefore you wouldn't own one so would not need to travel 129 miles to move your caravan 3 miles.

Last edited:
This is our fourth year of running an EV, replacing our old gen 1 Nissan Leaf in May for a new 40kW one. Given the choice, I would not even consider driving anything else. The latest Leaf is an absolute blast, and perfect for our lifestyle. Due to our solar PV, and the decent summer, it was costing us 1.2 ppm, but even using public charging points it is still very cheap to run compared to the other car, a 2.0 litre Skoda Octavia (which I also love driving, but so expensive). We're getting 150 miles range around town, which means a weekly charge as the car is used every day (unlike the Skoda). Seriously, don't diss these vehicles unless you have spent some time with them. They are the future, and will just get better and better. This seems hard to believe given the Leaf is by far and away the best car I have ever driven in the price bracket, and I have driven quite a few over the years. Features include 360 camera, blind-spot alert, cross traffic, emergency braking, intelligent cruise control, auto defrost (no engine starting of course), and in the snow these things are unstoppable (from experience using cross climate tyres, which I always fit). The single pedal operation (e-pedal) is a revelation in town driving, and did I mention quick? Like a scalded cat, very satisfying and, of course, silent. Yes, I have become a fanboy!

As for depreciation, we sold our old Leaf for not much less than we paid for it, but in any case, what you need to look at is TCO. For us, it's a no-brainer to have one of these on PCP, and pay virtually nothing to run it for three years. Your mileage may vary depending on where you live, but in MK, we have free parking for EVs, loads of rapid and type 2 chargers, and anything other than an EV simply does not make sense. Just my opinion of course, but at least it is based on actual experience.

I wouldn't mind an electric car, but I don't really see the point in a clean 10 minute drive to work; to drive 300+ miles in a diesel lorry. I can't ever see electric lorries being practical, the batteries would weigh more than you could carry in freight.
I also own a motorhome and haven't seen any electric ones available.
I'm also in @Gunge 's corner with this one, there's no point all the time we eat lot's of burgers and other countries cut down rain forests to make room for more farting cows. Also I'm just watching H2 and an asteroids going to wipe us out before global warming does.

I wouldn't mind an electric car, but I don't really see the point in a clean 10 minute drive to work; to drive 300+ miles in a diesel lorry.

A very good point about trucks but i guess they have to start somewhere and Electric Trucks are on the way -

I haven’t posted for ages but the perception of EV’s being better for the environment angers me, our piece of rock is in constant flux and we’ve only been on it for a very short period of time in the grand scheme of things. In short I think we know more than we do and have such a high opinion of humanity and our technology that some of us actually believe we can halt the natural evolution of the planet and universe. It’s all ****!

As an old colleague of mine used to say “Perception is Reality”, I used to think he was talking b****x but now I’m older I can see what he meant.

Government says buy diesel = Easy one, it was cheaper to buy diesel than petrol then and everyone thought they were getting a bargain so the public swallowed the green sound bites hook line a sinker. The reality is it’s dearer to buy a diesel engined car and even when diesel was cheap you had to do about 20k miles a year for 15 years to break even over a petrol cost. Now diesel as a fuel is dearer and has been for a long time.

Media starts pushing SUV’s as the new cool to have for families = Public completely forget about being green and buy SUV’s like they’re going out of fashion, look outside most schools over the last 5 years and tell me that anyone really gives a s**t they’re driving the environmental equivalent of a medium van belching fumes straight into the school gates. SUV’s also have less capacity in general than the saloon versions and much less than estates(remember that most SUV’s on the market are only a saloon jacked up of the ground). Do you sit upright on a bicycle to go forward with less effort, na but when you’ve bought a diesel that does more mpg then don’t worry about it lol.

VAG found out with their blatant cheating diesels = Media and government outcry that diesel is dirtier than they expected(no s**t Sherlock). Public get paranoid that they could be the cause of global warming again coinciding with massive investment of renewable energy projects. Reality is there is no such thing as completely green energy use but again the public swallows it and to look cool and caring again they try to go out and buy a perceived environmentally friendly vehicle(EV). Also there is a worldwide shortage of precious metals that go into making batteries and electric motors(not widely known of course) so don’t count on those getting much cheaper than they are now and they have much larger environmental downsides than IC engines it’s just that we won’t see that because it will be in another country lol.

If we really want to live cheaper and greener at the same time we should stop buying stuff from the other side of the globe and buy local, use devices connected to the internet less as well(read up on most energy consuming industries, you’ll be surprised). The ships carrying the s**t we buy like clothes, toys, electronics etc. have a bigger impact on the environment than cars for sure. Example, 15 Super tankers produce more environmental damage than all of the cars in the world and there are currently about 10,000 super tankers around today. Ironic the shipping industry isn’t under the same rules as passenger carrying vehicles or power plants when it comes to the fuel they use(dirtiest stuff used in any industry I read somewhere).

Check out this article I read years ago but keep in mind anyone’s opinions can be biased according to who pays them the most, sorry for the massive post lol.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/renewables/unclean-at-any-speed

DannyM17... you know it, I know it, and everybody else with at least two correctly functioning brain cells know it - climate change caused by our use of fossil fuels is complete, total cack. The brainy ones who peddle this junk are lying and have fooled themselves to such a degree for some reason or another that they believe it to be true. Amazing.

I haven’t posted for ages but the perception of EV’s being better for the environment angers me, our piece of rock is in constant flux and we’ve only been on it for a very short period of time in the grand scheme of things. In short I think we know more than we do and have such a high opinion of humanity and our technology that some of us actually believe we can halt the natural evolution of the planet and universe. It’s all ****!

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/renewables/unclean-at-any-speed

While obviously SUVs and buying stuff from the other side of the world aren't good for the environmentally minded consumer, the whole thing "I cannot believe that people can affect the environment therefore it's nonsense" argument is straight up sloppy thinking from those who value their opinions more than they do facts. The article is guilty of this, saying things like "this is not just about science. It’s about values". The fact of the matter is that there are pollutants and CO2 emission over the life cycle of all cars, they can be measured, and EVs and conventional cars can be compared, and it has nothing to do with car makers profiteering and advertising, or the portrayal by media or reception by politicians. This video, for instance, provides evidence, and citations, and nuances such as how the analysis depends of what type of EV you have, and how the energy is produced.

https://drivetribe.com/p/are-electr...mpaign=main+&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=organic

Latest posts

Back