Excellent recipe collection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
I strongly recommend using the recipes at this link, they are all recipes developed by an experienced American home brewer and writer. There's a good range of beer types, and he does like English ales as well as American and European. There are extract, all grain and partial mash recipes:

http://beerandwinejournal.com/beer-recipes/

He explains how to make each recipe too, and provides the recipes in American imperial measures and in metric measures further down the page.

I've done the Cure from Cork, Colby House Porter and Supercell Stout (which I converted to AG), and all were brilliant.

That's great thanks I have book marked that!

I have never done a stout and was thinking about one, (was also keeping an eye on MyQuls HBC kit review) never really drank much stouts and wanted to give something a bit different a go.

When you converted did you just replace the DME with Maris Otter of an equivalent weight?

I replaced the DME with Maris Otter, not the same weight, it needs more grain than DME. Used Brewmate.

Home brewed stouts are excellent, often much better than ones you buy, it's a great style to make if you drink them. I mainly drink pale ales but I am making occasional small batches of stout cos when you're in the mood for a stout a home made one is unbeatable.

Yup that's what I'd do add maris otter until it comes out the right OG :thumb:

I haven't drank much stout before and I find the few I tried okay but nothing special.. so trying something myself might be more satisfying..

Nice to try a change anyway.

Yup that's what I'd do add maris otter until it comes out the right OG :thumb:

I haven't drank much stout before and I find the few I tried okay but nothing special.. so trying something myself might be more satisfying..

Nice to try a change anyway.

My first stout was a revelation. It was my first AG brew, which I made in two small stockpots as a SMaTH beer with Maris Otter, Cascade and Centennial, and US05. After a few days of fermenting I thought to myself, "I could have two different beers in these pots", so I steeped some roast grains, boiled the liquid and added it to one of the pots (I fermented them in the stockpots they were boiled in).

I couldn't believe how good the stout was. And I have realised that I like a stout to have a neutral yeast, and a serious bittering hop. Chinook and Columbus/Zeus are excellent. The Centennial was really good. Simcoe too. Admiral would be good for bittering.

I often add hops at 15 minutes too. Centennial are perfect, Brewers Gold worked well, they are not dissimilar hops I reckon. Bramling Cross is a good stout hop too. And Challenger and Progress.

Back