Excessive trub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Hello all

I’m in the process of fermenting a mango milkshake IPA and am concerned about the amount of trub. I started the brew on Sat 21/Aug

It’s a 24l partial mash. The details are as follows:

IPA kit LME1.7kg tin
Grains
2kg Pale Malt
1kg Flaked oats
Mashed @ 67c for 60 mins
750g Lactose (mixed in to wort prior to yeast pitch while aerating)
2 x Packs of CML Haze yeast

I have attached a photo and as you can see the trub is already up to my tap. I’m goin to add mango and dry hop, so trub will increase further.

Never had so much. Any idea why so much? Just so I can remedy this in the future.

A million thanks in advance everyone.

Attachments

• 2103DFFB-E149-4CA5-B3B3-77B21BE46E84.jpeg
    2103DFFB-E149-4CA5-B3B3-77B21BE46E84.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 56
I've had about 10% trub in batches where I was pretty sloppy about not transferring it from the boil. As long as it's below the level of the tap it won't cause you any trouble (trubble?).

Best way to avoid this is to let everything settle for a while (30 min?) after the boil and then transfer slowly to the FV. I'm usually impatient at this point so am happy to accept a bit of trub. There's arguments both ways for pros and cons of trub in the fermenter but I've not heard a conclusive argument either way yet.

I'm with Roboto. I often transfer too much break material over to the fermenter, simply because I'm in a hurry :/ I usually wedge the fermenter away from the tap, leaving it free. That'll work if you're planning to add to it. Good luck!

When I use lactose I add it towards the end of the boil. I drain off a litre or so of hot wort and dissolve it in this. Once dissolved the whole lot is added back to the kettle for the last 10 to 15 minutes.

Dry hop.in a muslin bag u can then retrieve before u transfer
It won't add to your trubles

Hi all

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Was worried it was the lactose. Was planning on splitting the batch but didn't bother and could only add lactose post boil as was in a rush.

Gonna have a non-milkshake ipa on my hands.

Thanks for everyones feedback.

Latest posts

Back