Experience with yeast bay Vermont ale yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right then, this is at least 5 Vermonter Brewers that are in [emoji1303]
I think Notlaw has access to some bottle carriers suitable for postage. 3 for �£6 I think. He was running something on another bottle swap.

I have been fermenting mine from 18oC for the first 6 days and I've just upped it to 19.5 to finish it off. Exactly for that reason of keeping esters under control. My starter raced away too. Maybe I'm just being paranoid from previous experiences of starters gone bad.

Looks like we are about 2-3 weeks away from a swap happening so we may get a few more Vermont experimenters on board for a bottle swap.

Mine is a citra/mosaic combo. Amarillo sounds great. I've got a packet of elderado to experiment with so any info on that hop would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really liked the eldorado, it's fruit but different to the citrusy hops, it's more stone fruit and a lot of pear. People talk about watermelon jolly rancher but I didn't really get that, though I can see with the pear flavour why people talk about candy. I'd def use again. I used leaf, got from brewuk. Haven't seen pellets anywhere but not really looked. Can't recall the aa% it will be on my thread if you search for eldorado threads.

My 1st Vermont effort is just 3 days in the bottle now & the 2nd is approaching 2 weeks in FV, defo up for a swap though.

I dry hopped my Vermont AIPA with slightly more than I've ever used before:-
120g in total: 40g Simcoe, 30g Galaxy, 25g Amarillo, 25g Centennial

But this is the strongest beer I've made, - it had gone from 1.067 to 1.014 (78% attenuation) when I transferred it to 2ndry at the weekend.

Although this one is still a way away from being ready to drink, I've now got my bottle packaging thanks to Notlaw, so I'm all set for a swap if/when anyone's still up for it?
:cheers:

I dry hopped my Vermont AIPA with slightly more than I've ever used before:-
120g in total: 40g Simcoe, 30g Galaxy, 25g Amarillo, 25g Centennial

But this is the strongest beer I've made, - it had gone from 1.067 to 1.014 (78% attenuation) when I transferred it to 2ndry at the weekend.

Although this one is still a way away from being ready to drink, I've now got my bottle packaging thanks to Notlaw, so I'm all set for a swap if/when anyone's still up for it?

I am but where do i get said packaging?

Tested my Vermont IPA pre dry hop and it's gone bad. Real bad. I think somehow the yeast got stressed in the starter/pitch and the beer just smells of autolyse (dead yeast cells) and is real bitter.

Gutted is not the word......

I can't trust the yeast I top cropped now so I'm gonna have to ditch that as well and wait until someone has some more Vermont in stock and start again.

Just spewing annoyed. I'm still in for swappage. Tho.

Tested my Vermont IPA pre dry hop and it's gone bad. Real bad. I think somehow the yeast got stressed in the starter/pitch and the beer just smells of autolyse (dead yeast cells) and is real bitter.

Gutted is not the word......

I can't trust the yeast I top cropped now so I'm gonna have to ditch that as well and wait until someone has some more Vermont in stock and start again.

Just spewing annoyed. I'm still in for swappage. Tho.

I've never experienced autolysis but from what I've read it gives a meaty/marmitey tastes, not a bitter one

I'm still in for swappage. Tho.

Sorry to hear about your brew - but if you fancy a swap I can send of bottle of 1st Vermont brew - the all centennial apa at the end of the week, or you could wait a few weeks for the big aipa.

Hi dan. Yeah that would be great. I'd really like to see how some of this Vermont shapes up. I've got to wait to for somewhere to get it back in stock until I can have another go at brewing with it.

For a swap of your Vermont You could choose from a Columbus/cascade saison, grapefruit IPA, imperial porter, steam beer, mosaic IPA, rye pale or wait 2 weeks for a galaxy/motueka pale.

I bought some of those bottle post boxes from the other guys on here if you didn't.

Hi dan. Yeah that would be great. I'd really like to see how some of this Vermont shapes up. I've got to wait to for somewhere to get it back in stock until I can have another go at brewing with it.

For a swap of your Vermont You could choose from a Columbus/cascade saison, grapefruit IPA, imperial porter, steam beer, mosaic IPA, rye pale or wait 2 weeks for a galaxy/motueka pale.

I bought some of those bottle post boxes from the other guys on here if you didn't.

Nice one Hoddy
I've got some of the boxes too so can send one & you can send it back or vice versa if you like? - PM me your address.
Sounds like I'm spoilt for choice and although I'm very tempted with the grapefruit IPA & Imperial porter & well...all of them - I think I'll plump for the mosaic IPA.

I tapped my keg of 7.2% Vermont AIPA yesterday at 28 days since brew day.
This is earlier than I would have done but after finding out that Heady Topper goes out after just 4 weeks I wanted to see how it would be -

Hazy as you like & intensely hoppy - but I like it! The yeast definitely gives the beer a bit of character that I've found lacking in recent west coast yeast brews.

Back