Can anyone suggest a yeast for this english pale ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tries to escape? You bet! This is from earlier today when I had to fit a blowoff tube to a 1469 fuelled fermentation. Only seconds after fitting the tube it was up the spout!
View attachment 48050
Strewth… pitched my GH Yorkshire bitter yesterday afternoon with a 1Ltr starter of 1469, and it’s now going NUTS.
Unfortunately it’s worked it’s way up to 22°c but I’m just going to have to live with the consequences, because my chilled cabinet is occupied with a batch of Pils. Oh Poo…

The obvious (and cheapest!) option would be to get hold of the Sheps yeast, either scavenged from a cask or I'm fairly sure that 1698 is bottle conditioned with the production yeast - I've not tried it myself, but it's widely available in supermarkets.

Yes Verdant is a derivative of 1318 London Ale III, and is generally the least bad dry yeast for British styles these days, although some people find the vanilla note a bit off-putting. Liberty Bell is a decent alternative, and might be better suited here.

But I'm not sure you really want a 1318 for this kind of beer, it's maybe got a bit more character than you want in something like WPA. A really under-rated yeast for this kind of session beer is WLP041 Pacific Ale which despite the name is a British yeast, probably a derivative of Gale's. It gives a really easy-drinking character which works well for something like this. I see GEB don't have it, but they do have what's meant to be the Wyeast equivalent, 1332, which I've not tried.

As an aside I'd regard WLP002 and 1968 as distress purchases these days - there's plenty of better British yeasts out there, and wherever they came from originally, they certainly don't have the marmalade character that is so typical of the real Fuller's yeast. Which is easily harvested from cask, 1845 or Lancer, or Imperial A09 Pub is a much closer match.
I think Verdant is much better than the "least bad"! I really like it. Have you tried it?

Harvesting 1698 yeast is a good idea. I'd say Liberty Bell would do a decent job. I've had Whitstable Bay and I wouldn't think 1318 would be a close match.

I’ve got a pack liberty bell lined up for this and will brew In a week or so.

also looking foward to trying the verdant in a hazy pale at some stage to see how it compares with London Fog that has been great for juicy beers thus far.

I think Verdant is much better than the "least bad"! I really like it. Have you tried it?

Not personally - it'll probably be the next dry yeast I buy but my yeast collection needs pruning as it is. SWMBO is making pointed remarks about now it's summer it would be nice to have at least one salad drawer in the fridge available for salad....

The 1318 family are great in hazies but I think there's plenty better for British styles, and the vanilla note in Verdant doesn't sound like a positive for British styles.

As and when I get some, I'd want to play with the vanilla thing - it has biochemical links to the phenolic pathway so it would be interesting to see if wheat/maize/ferulic rests can bring out the vanilla more.

But none of the other dry yeast are that great for British styles compared to brewery yeasts that at least for us in the UK are easy to harvest. So I stand by "least bad".

Not personally - it'll probably be the next dry yeast I buy but my yeast collection needs pruning as it is. SWMBO is making pointed remarks about now it's summer it would be nice to have at least one salad drawer in the fridge available for salad....

The 1318 family are great in hazies but I think there's plenty better for British styles, and the vanilla note in Verdant doesn't sound like a positive for British styles.

As and when I get some, I'd want to play with the vanilla thing - it has biochemical links to the phenolic pathway so it would be interesting to see if wheat/maize/ferulic rests can bring out the vanilla more.

But none of the other dry yeast are that great for British styles compared to brewery yeasts that at least for us in the UK are easy to harvest. So I stand by "least bad".
Ok but it's a very good yeast and it's made some great British ales for me, least bad doesn't do it justice IMO. So far, I've particularly liked it in brown ales, and a porter. But also an old ale, the first time I used it. Repitching seems to boost the yeast flavours but they are there with fresh out he's too, just not quite as much.

..... it'll probably be the next dry yeast I buy but my yeast collection needs pruning as it is. SWMBO is making pointed remarks about now it's summer it would be nice to have at least one salad drawer in the fridge available for salad....

Similar to my very own SWMBO, there @Northern_Brewer.
Only more autocratic.
Eviction closely follows the warning, as she takes on the role of the bailiffs herself!

Latest posts

Back