Experimenting With Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-erl

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm pretty new to home brewing (started my first kit Nov 2011) but love it! I've just finished my 3rd kit; first was Muntons Connoisseur IPA, which is a very nice drop although I feel could do with being a bit more hoppy and maybe a bit stronger. Second was a Mangrove Jacks British series Irish stout, again a lovely drop but a bit thin. And Ive just finished a ginger beer which is now sitting in it's bottles waiting for me to try! :P

My question is that I'd like to get a few more kits under my belt but I'd also like to start experimenting with the kits; increasing the strength, taste aroma and in regards to the stout, making it thicker! Does anyone have any advice? :wha:

Does adding LME increase the strength? Will it affect the taste? Will DME do the same thing?

Can I add more than just a kilo off brew enhancer? Can I add brew enhancer and LME?

Whats the best way to dry hop?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :cheers:

Cheers,

The Erl :drink:

hi malt extracts have all the sugar you need Dried is liquid extract that is more concentrated than liquid and is basically all the good stuff from grains , brew enhancer is 50% brewing sugar (just fine sugar) and 50% dried malt extract , in kits you get liquid extract and you could just add gramme for gramme DME to replace the sugar , adding sugar thins out your brew while adding DME doesn't but may add a malty taste (which i like) dry hopping can be best after you have fermented your brew in 1st FV vessel tranfer brew to 2nd FV and add hops in a sterilized muslin bag and leave brew for another week

The easiest way to make a kit stronger and less 'thin' is not to dilute the ingredients so much.
Brew to <23l and you will achieve this. The downside is you obviously have less beer :shock:
So depending on beer style you have the options pittsy mentioned.
Brewing sugar is often dextrose as opposed to regular granulated which is sucrose.
Both have near 100% fermentability but some people can taste off flavours from sucrose.
This is more a concern with lighter flavoured styles but personally I prefer to use DME/LME where possible as I prefer a maltier brew anyway.

Thanks for your words of wisdom guys! :clap: I think I'll definately start using the malt extract, dried or liquid, in the future. :cheers:

Cheers, :drink:

I've not tried yet. But i'm going to make a super strength at some point from a budget kit like Geordies or something. I guess the trick is to find out what the alcohol tolerance of your yeast is and work out the max OG allowed. Put your LME in your FV. Put in your hydrometer and add water until you get the desired OG. :thumb:

Back