Extract Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapat

Reaction score
Hi all
I have made a few beers from kit and am now looking at progressing in the hobby of brewing. I think my next step is to look into extract brewing as I want to be able to tailor my beer taste more.It this looks quite simple but still more involved than making from kit. What equipment will I need? I want to make small amounts of beer a couple of gallons at a time. Is it easy to adapt recipes for smaller amounts?
Thanks
Graeme

In a word, Yes, it's easy to scale for extract.

A long time since I've done it, but I think the only extras I had were a large pan (8 litres or greater if possible), a hop bag and some Irish moss (to help the hot break). I'm assuming you've already got a thermometer and hydrometer Graeme. I'd also strongly advocate treating all your water with half a Campden tablet crushed into it ahead of proceedings in-case you're unlucky enough to have chloramine in your tap water - essence of TCP is not a nice outcome!

Extract brews are much better than kits in my brief and limited experience. I'm just finishing my extract brews now, and very nice they are too. It's a good step up to AG.

thanks for the reply guys. I am looking for a large pan now.

Graeme

I too brew kits but now feel I want to "move up" and brew extract.
I have no idea what this would involve so any advise or links to sites, costs per brew and what I need to buy to brew would be very helpful. I have a good kit brewing set up.

Latest posts

Back