Ey up All.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DMS is Edme's Diastatic Malt Syrup and equivalent today is Light Malt Extract. I suppose the original DMS could convert a proportion of adjuncts although I don't recall ever "mashing" with it. Edme also did a richer and darker extract called "Super Flavex". I wonder what happened to them.
Many thanks for that info An Ankoù, much appreciated 👍🏻🍻

Hey Jamie,
thanks for that mate. Yes when I was trying to remember how my mate said it it sounded like he used a ch (as in loch) at the end but we’d probly both had a bit t drink no doubt.
amazing that you lived next to Duke St. Small world eh!

Hey @NeilE1970 , welcome t' forum.

Noticed you're a 1970 vintage same as me and I'm from similar area as you originally. Where did you go to school?
Ey up Harbey,
yep , helps me remember my age!
I grew up in Dalton Rotherham. Mining village. Then after Thrybergh Comp, I went to Thomas Rotherham College, then Rotherham College for Art & Technology (RCAT) then Wolverhampton Polytechnic which turned to University in my leaving year of 1992, where I achieved a 1st class with hons in industrial design…the only one on my course.
then my real life training began. Not knowing what to do and being severely disillusioned by the design world through a few bad experiences I continued working in my local WMC where I finally attained …confidence. ..a thing which I had being severely lacking. I’m ok now tho!😂😂

I was at Kimberworth Comp followed by Thomas Rotherham! My real name is Harvey, not Harbey and I did engineering graphics, computing and maths whilst I was there. We must have been in the same year pretty much - I was born in March.

I was at Kimberworth Comp followed by Thomas Rotherham! My real name is Harvey, not Harbey and I did engineering graphics, computing and maths whilst I was there. We must have been in the same year pretty much - I was born in March.
Wow! Small world indeed Harvey. In fact I remember your name, as I don’t think there was another Harvey there at that time. I was there 86-88. At the end I gave them on loan a big painting of some boats and barges on the River Don. 5 feet x 4. Years later I was there doing Modern Greek at evening class a saw they had stored it behind some lockers in the locker room..almost ready for it to be ‘lost’. I got it back sharpish!
EB9B20EE-2286-41F0-902F-531686BA44E8.jpeg

It’s possible you might have had maths with my brother Mike Eyre. i also did maths (with mechanics) with Trev Senior and Ferguson I think her name was. I was mainly arts tho...I did painting, design, maths with mechanics. I kept in touch with Terry Bennett until he died a few years ago….the London art trips were legendary…for good reason!
I think one or a couple of my painting class mates might have known you personally, Rachel Morton Or Tracey Jarvis?
So what are you up to now? I hope youre well and happy mate.
Neil
btw I was born feb 2 1970.

Last edited:
Many thanks for that info An Ankoù, much appreciated 👍🏻🍻
IMG_20230301_153330.jpg

There you go! EDME's DMS Malt Extract.
Sorry I'm late to the party.
This was retrieved from the back of the kitchen cupboard for the shot.
I did try some in a few brews of late.
Suffice to say that its colour is way darker than when bought 35 years ago and the flavour is prominent and of bitter caramel.
EDME's Superflavex, (SFX) : also a liquid malt syrup but was stated to be dark, so was caramelised as it had no mention of being diastatic.

View attachment 82560
There you go! EDME's DMS Malt Extract.
Sorry I'm late to the party.
This was retrieved from the back of the kitchen cupboard for the shot.
I did try some in a few brews of late.
Suffice to say that its colour is way darker than when bought 35 years ago and the flavour is prominent and of bitter caramel.
EDME's Superflavex, (SFX) : also a liquid malt syrup but was stated to be dark, so was caramelised as it had no mention of being diastatic.

ah ahhh there it is! What are you gonna make with it 😂😂😂.
im guessing not much good?
thanks for the pic mate.

ah ahhh there it is! What are you gonna make with it 😂😂😂.
im guessing not much good?
thanks for the pic mate.
Probably not again, its flavour is just too prominent.
I did see EDMES still made it a few years ago, but only supplied it to food manufacturers.
Now it appears they don't anymore, focussing on (malted) grain products, flours and mixes.
I'm sure other liquid malts are readily available to substitute for EDME's DMS and SFX from brewing suppliers.

Back