Ey up All.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tess, I just remembered as I wa wekkin up this mornin…there’s one person, well ‘article‘ with the name of Macyntire, can’t be bothered if I spelt it right who I once saw on‘t‘ telly doing the most appalling Yorkshire accent ever and in the most derogatory way. I’ve never been able to abide him since. Just wondered what you think of him. I turn him off if he’s ever on….oooo he boils my p!ss. BP from normal to exploding in a millisecond!

On a slightly different note, where you are ..did you ever have the saying, Don’t thee thou me, tha thous them that thous thee.. or summat like that. I never heard it till a few years ago. I’m from the Rotherham area in South Yorkshire but not sure where you are.

Michael Mcintyre? I'm afraid he's my favourite comedian ha ha :coat:

I live halfway between York and Hull at the moment, but I'm originally a West and South Yorkshire half-breed.

I come from a village called Havercroft which has a West Yorkshire postcode but a South Yorkshire telephone dialling code. Go figure lol.

I went to school in Royston for a few years which is just in the ass crack of South Yorkshire. Perhaps you know it? 😅

I went to college in Stainborough, I'm sure you'll have heard of that college, best place ever.

Never heard the saying by the way, but I could write a book on South Yorkshire sayings 😄

Ooh, meant to say, my son lives in Richmond, VA. He's going to be there for around 3 years, working.

Last edited:
Michael Mcintyre? I'm afraid he's my favourite comedian ha ha :coat:

I live halfway between York and Hull at the moment, but I'm originally a West and South Yorkshire half-breed.

I come from a village called Havercroft which has a West Yorkshire postcode but a South Yorkshire telephone dialling code. Go figure lol.

I went to school in Royston for a few years which is just in the ass crack of South Yorkshire. Perhaps you know it? 😅

I went to college in Stainborough, I'm sure you'll have heard of that college, best place ever.

Never heard the saying by the way, but I could write a book on South Yorkshire sayings 😄

Ooh, meant to say, my son lives in Richmond, VA. He's going to be there for around 3 years, working.
Oh no!….moving on then 😂😂😂 gimme Peter Kay any day.
Royston ..int that were Chubs comes from? Never heard of Stainborough or the college sorry to say.
Virginia is close but I don’t get out much…too much going on here to get anywhere. Good luck and all the best to your son, I’m sure it was a shock to him as it was to me when he got here.
A book of proper Yorkshire sayings and phrases sounds like a great idea.
righto best be gettin going, casting to do.
ttfn

Oh no!….moving on then 😂😂😂 gimme Peter Kay any day.
Royston ..int that were Chubs comes from? Never heard of Stainborough or the college sorry to say.
Virginia is close but I don’t get out much…too much going on here to get anywhere. Good luck and all the best to your son, I’m sure it was a shock to him as it was to me when he got here.
A book of proper Yorkshire sayings and phrases sounds like a great idea.
righto best be gettin going, casting to do.
ttfn
Btw , tell him to get some trailgazer beer from Lidl, bloody gorgeous stuff, good price too. I’ve just harvested some yeast from 3 bottles and used it in a Chinook ipa kit I got. It’s doing great at the moment.
I brew on a tilt so that the trub settles below the spout.
9C5BF655-A7C2-4E4E-A7ED-92CB2584B8C9.jpeg
9D5740D2-3377-4776-ACFC-435BB3948155.jpeg

Welcome, make sure you make a Tetleys clone out in the US
Ey up Al.
yes I’ve got a few I want to try….all from Grahams book and Dave Line’s book…including Sam Smiths, John Smiths beer and magnet.
I have noticed in Daves book reference to EDME DMS malt, would you have any idea what it is? And would there be a substitute?
id also like to find some recipes from Bentleys Brewery in Rotherham since I’m from there. I have a nagging feeling that there was another brewery beginning with W but not sure.
I did find a link to a magnet clone to a site called hop and grain but it is no more, ceased to be, bereft of life. I tried on the archive for the recipe but it didn’t save that far in.
Cheers mate.

I live next to Tadcaster, so we don't have much choice 🤣

Could it be Wards? More of a Sheffield brewery but will have been sold in Rotherham
Yes! Indeed that’s it. Only tried wards bitter a few times can’t remember owt bad about it…so must have been areight.
just remembered, it was in a lovely little pub called the Crinoline behind Rotherham bus station. Sadly a tile place now. Too many old pubs closing

Last edited:
I have noticed in Daves book reference to EDME DMS malt, would you have any idea what it is? And would there be a substitute?
DMS is Edme's Diastatic Malt Syrup and equivalent today is Light Malt Extract. I suppose the original DMS could convert a proportion of adjuncts although I don't recall ever "mashing" with it. Edme also did a richer and darker extract called "Super Flavex". I wonder what happened to them.

Interesting to hear the difference in the pronunciation of Moor.
they say it more
i say it like moo-ah.
ahhhh the beauty of Gods own language!

Could be because they're singing and it's easier to sing like that perhaps? No idea where they're from or indeed if they're even from Yorkshire at all lol. 'Singing' in inverted commas 😂

I pronounce it both ways, depending on what mood I'm in 😂

Many thanks Jamie. ..sorry for the late response..I’m still not sure whether I’ll go full grain or not. I’m limited on both time and space, sounds like I need a Dr!…never tried a Citra Smash but it sounds good.
A very good and missed friend of mine told me a saying ..hopefully it’s not too late for a new year wish.. Lang may yer lum rea(ch), and hopefully I didn’t mangle that. ..sorry Davie!.
An ancestor of mine lived in Glasgow Richard Eyre he was a hatter in the 1800’s Duke st. Another hobby of mine… family tree.
thanks again mate
Never too late for a bit of Scots Neil. Very close with the spelling too, "Lang may yer lum reek". And to translate into the Queen's English, "Long may your chimney smoke" i.e. have a long and comfortable life, something like that.

I used to live on the next street over from Duke St in my early working days right after uni, its a nice area round that way. Its also home to the Tennents brewery, a favourite pint up here.

Back