Ey up All.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilE1970

Reaction score
‘Ey up everyone,
im Neil and I’m a home brewer!🍻👍🏻. A proud Yorkshireman but now living on Long Island USA.
I’ve not got quite a year under my belt yet but have managed to learn quite a bit…..obviously loads to go tho.
i use extract mainly liquid as its quick and convenient. In November I made my first non kit brew….a Banks’s Bitter using Grahams book as starter. I added some pan toasted flaked oats and used the 25 Litre recipe but only made 23 , intentionally I might add. I used Wyeast 1469 which I had previously used in a bought kit and harvested the yeast. It worked like a gladiator! Bottled after 2 weeks and conditioned for 3.
Anyway the results from my perspective are wonderful.
I am absolutely loving home brewing and wish I had started earlier.

I am also trying my best to push the advantages of using metric here in the US. Especially in homebrewing the advantages are numerous. Still makes me scratch my head why it’s not been adopted here.

I am very much looking forward to using this board now that I have at least some knowledge.
Thanks guys.
Neil

Welcome Neil. I’m a newbie too, only been doing it for around 9 months and waiting on my first all grain to condition too. A Citra SMASH to try and keep things as simple as possible. Good to have you around 👍

I’ve not got quite a year under my belt yet but have managed to learn quite a bit….

I am also trying my best to push the advantages of using metric here in the US.
Welcome Neil, good to see Yorkshire recolonising the Americas. I would say that if you haven't yet got a year under your belt, you've got a long and exciting future ahead. until it's interrupted by school, and family, and work, of course. :laugh8:
As for introducing metric units, good luck with that, I understand they're still using bushels and cubits down in the Bible Belt.
Good luck with the brewing (and the drinking).

Welcome Neil. I’m a newbie too, only been doing it for around 9 months and waiting on my first all grain to condition too. A Citra SMASH to try and keep things as simple as possible. Good to have you around 👍
Many thanks Jamie. ..sorry for the late response..I’m still not sure whether I’ll go full grain or not. I’m limited on both time and space, sounds like I need a Dr!…never tried a Citra Smash but it sounds good.
A very good and missed friend of mine told me a saying ..hopefully it’s not too late for a new year wish.. Lang may yer lum rea(ch), and hopefully I didn’t mangle that. ..sorry Davie!.
An ancestor of mine lived in Glasgow Richard Eyre he was a hatter in the 1800’s Duke st. Another hobby of mine… family tree.
thanks again mate

Welcome Neil, good to see Yorkshire recolonising the Americas. I would say that if you haven't yet got a year under your belt, you've got a long and exciting future ahead. until it's interrupted by school, and family, and work, of course. :laugh8:
As for introducing metric units, good luck with that, I understand they're still using bushels and cubits down in the Bible Belt.
Good luck with the brewing (and the drinking).
Hi An Ankoù,
yep trying my best mate…I tell them on the 4th of July it’s just losing the colonies day for me.
as for metric..well first off, ….hats off to the French for metric…..as you’d expect it doesn’t come easy to an Englishman but….credit where credit is due and if peace is to prevail old disaggreements should be put to bed. Education is key!..and the love for fellow humans.
Metric …well honestly it is amazing that something so incredibly beautiful and all encompassing as the metric system is beaten by the , let’s call it a system we have here for want of many better alternatives. …but I keep at it.
for me the most amazing aspect is the ability to go from length to area to volume and then mass and with water and it’s unique status in the system…simply astounding!

As to the drinking…I worked 12 years behind a working men’s club bar in Yorkshire and can drink pretty much owt…not in great volume I might add….better on spirits than beer…sends me to sleep. absolutely love Pastis, Ricard, Pernod, absinthe etc. Ouzo too. I make a sort-of gin, steeping crushed green juniper berries in Everclear, turns out really gold….a beautiful green colour..and tastes amazing. My wife calls me an equal opportunity liver killer. My first pint was a pint of John Smith’s Bitter. not the best but it holds a special place. I went to uni in Wolverhampton…hence the love of Banks’s Bitter.
Thanks for the greetings mate, much appreciated.

DAD45AF4-430C-43E8-88CF-BCAB501FEB04.jpeg

Home steeped juniper berries in everclear. Tasty stuff with lime juice and tonic water.
Although at 95% you don’t need a lot!

‘Ey up everyone,
im Neil and I’m a home brewer!🍻👍🏻. A proud Yorkshireman but now living on Long Island USA.
I’ve not got quite a year under my belt yet but have managed to learn quite a bit…..obviously loads to go tho.
i use extract mainly liquid as its quick and convenient. In November I made my first non kit brew….a Banks’s Bitter using Grahams book as starter. I added some pan toasted flaked oats and used the 25 Litre recipe but only made 23 , intentionally I might add. I used Wyeast 1469 which I had previously used in a bought kit and harvested the yeast. It worked like a gladiator! Bottled after 2 weeks and conditioned for 3.
Anyway the results from my perspective are wonderful.

I am also trying my best to push the advantages of using metric here in the US. Especially in homebrewing the advantages are numerous. Still makes me scratch my head why it’s not been adopted here.

I am very much looking forward to using this board now that I have at least some knowledge.
Thanks guys.
Neil
Greetings and welcome to the homebrewing addiction!

Arz tha guin kid? 😂

Fellow Yorkshire person here (very much Yorkshire in fact).
Big welcome from me. acheers.
Not bad me owd, ahhtha gooin?
ta very much fo’t’ welcome, very kind of you.
there’s another passion o mine, writing in dialect. Americans are very funny trying to do a British accent but when it comes to the Yorkshire accent , they’ve no chance at all. I think they try too hard, the sounds are very subtle I think.

al sithee later Tess🍻

Arz tha guin kid? 😂

Fellow Yorkshire person here (very much Yorkshire in fact).
Big welcome from me. acheers.
Tess, I just remembered as I wa wekkin up this mornin…there’s one person, well ‘article‘ with the name of Macyntire, can’t be bothered if I spelt it right who I once saw on‘t‘ telly doing the most appalling Yorkshire accent ever and in the most derogatory way. I’ve never been able to abide him since. Just wondered what you think of him. I turn him off if he’s ever on….oooo he boils my p!ss. BP from normal to exploding in a millisecond!

On a slightly different note, where you are ..did you ever have the saying, Don’t thee thou me, tha thous them that thous thee.. or summat like that. I never heard it till a few years ago. I’m from the Rotherham area in South Yorkshire but not sure where you are.

Back