Fans

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a fan in my fridge. Seems to work OK.:confused.:

interesting, as I have my fv in a cupboard and set up a little experiment with my bbq fan and I have a small temp increase with the fan on for 5 mins. This has convinced me that I need one right?

interesting, as I have my fv in a cupboard and set up a little experiment with my bbq fan and I have a small temp increase with the fan on for 5 mins. This has convinced me that I need one right?
Good question. Is the cupboard the same size as the fridge? Is there a heat source, other than the fan motor, in the cupboard? Is the cupboard well insulated and draught proof? How small is small temperature increase?
Sorry for all the questions but there are a lot of variables that need to be considered (or not).
I've never done a detailed evaluation of the temperature of the wort in my fridge. My opinion is that convection inside my fridge will circulate hot and cold air. The thermal mass of 5 gallons of wort is large compared to the thermal mass of the fridge atmosphere, so fluctuations in air temperature will occur faster than the wort can react and will always lag behind. So while the air temperature may vary by plus or minus 1C, say, the wort temperature variation will be much less. My opinion. No data to prove it.

Good question. Is the cupboard the same size as the fridge? Is there a heat source, other than the fan motor, in the cupboard? Is the cupboard well insulated and draught proof? How small is small temperature increase?
Sorry for all the questions but there are a lot of variables that need to be considered (or not).
I've never done a detailed evaluation of the temperature of the wort in my fridge. My opinion is that convection inside my fridge will circulate hot and cold air. The thermal mass of 5 gallons of wort is large compared to the thermal mass of the fridge atmosphere, so fluctuations in air temperature will occur faster than the wort can react and will always lag behind. So while the air temperature may vary by plus or minus 1C, say, the wort temperature variation will be much less. My opinion. No data to prove it.

Hello,

the cupboard is huge but has shelf’s which the fv is on. The heat source is a tube heater which is not awesome. Air flow would be limited as it’s inside the house and I’m getting .5 of an increase with the fan running for less than 5 mins

It looks like most are keen on no fan so I will take the advice and not bother it’s only another thing to go wrong.

No fan,heat rises and with a set temperature it's not getting any warmer plus your FV with conduct any ambient heat and expell excess if it becomes warmer than the heat source due too yeast activity.

Fans don't cool.... they only move air, if the air passes over your skin, it evaporates moisture from your skin giving a cooling effect. If you pass air over a dry object it has no cooling effect, unless you wrap it in a wet towel, or the fan is pulling air from a cooler place.

Latest posts

Back