Dry hopping equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periolus

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have one of those. It works fine. You can tie dental floss onto the end of you want to extract it.

I’ve got one but it fell apart after about a dozen brews. I now use the veg mesh sacks from Asda and find them much better, and a lot cheaper! I turn them inside out to make cleaning easier, they are also great for boiling hops.

I’ve got one but it fell apart after about a dozen brews. I now use the veg mesh sacks from Asda and find them much better, and a lot cheaper! I turn them inside out to make cleaning easier, they are also great for boiling hops.
+1 for the veg bags. Also available from other supermarkets 😉

It is very flimsy. I was a bit concerned about it. I've only used mine twice.

When i first started to dry hop my beers i used the veg sacks mentioned they worked fine, but after spending a lot of time trying to make sure they were totally clean after using, i then moved onto the stainless steel hop strainer filter cartridge that you mention in your post. i found they were much easier to use/clean, in my opinion.

I've got one of those SS tubes and works a treat. Never had any issues with it and done enough brews with it now to have found any weaknesses. Just be careful you don't get too greedy and try to shove too much hops in there as the hops do swell up alot and you want to leave enough space to allow the hops to swell or you will impact extraction. With the larger size I've successfully managed 200g or hops and that just about totally fils the volume so you probably shouldn't go much beyond that.

I have used the mesh bags too but the stainless hop tube is easier to clean, so would only use the mesh bags on the hot side now...though I've pretty much got to a point where I am not using anything for hopping anywhere in the process.

I have the exact same hop filter. It works fine. Used it loads of times with no issues. However, lately I have been using the small, white, hop bags available from online homebrew shops. CML throw some in for free when you order an AG kit so I decided to use them. I just toss them in the food caddy when I am cleaning the FV. One less thing to clean, innit.

Hi all!

I have been looking for something to use for dry hopping and wondered if this would be good in the FV:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-...ocphy=1006567&hvtargid=pla-540908378048&psc=1
My only concern was the lack of mesh in the lid, but hopefully the holes are small enough that no hop matter would escape. Any thoughts? I would need to make sure I could tie something on to retrieve it!!
I have one of those and only used it once, but it worked foine. However, just like benfleet and Rento i now use the veg bags except i get them from Lidl or Aldi, same bags just different price and chuck them away after usage. From memory Lidl sell for 79p for 2, not worth washi g for that price.

I have one of those and only used it once, but it worked foine. However, just like benfleet and Rento i now use the veg bags except i get them from Lidl or Aldi, same bags just different price and chuck them away after usage. From memory Lidl sell for 79p for 2, not worth washi g for that price.
Seems a bit wasteful, more single-use plastic is not a good idea.

You could use a length of fishing line.

I use those stainless hop spiders for keg hopping because I don’t want hop debris fouling the keg post poppets or dip tube. I use fishing line to secure the hop spider to the lid so I can easily pull it out later.

Hops just get thrown loose into the fermenter if I’m dry-hopping - I use 30 litre buckets for fermenting. I never cold crash because I don’t have space for another appliance. If you use leaf hops in the fermenter they float and form a raft. If you use pellets they break up and the bits sink to the bottom. To transfer the beer out at the end of fermentation I use an auto syphon with a small mesh bag over the end to stop any hop matter getting sucked up.

Hops just get thrown loose into the fermenter if I’m dry-hopping - I use 30 litre buckets for fermenting. I never cold crash because I don’t have space for another appliance. If you use leaf hops in the fermenter they float and form a raft. If you use pellets they break up and the bits sink to the bottom.

Do you have to shake the fermenter up a bit to get them all submersed or is that not necessary?

I tried dry hopping with leaf by "just wanging them in" as suggested by a friend.

Nightmare. They floated. And most of the hops say on top of the raft created by the others hop leaves and didn't touch the beer!

Latest posts

Back