Faulty inkbird?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocker Wright

Reaction score
Hi all. Brand new inkbird 308 working with a fridge. Has been working fine for 3 days on its first use but I've just watched it for the second time today jump from 18.5°C straight up to 19.9°C without increments, switching the fridge on and off for a split second before dropping back down to (but this time in increments) 18.5°C. I know its not getting much above 19°C in there because I've been monitoring it. The room the fridge is in is only 10°C. It's set to ferment at 19°C. The probe is stuck to the FV under some insulation about 4 inches away from a brew belt. Any ideas why it's doing this? Cheers.

Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?

Doubt either of these are your problem, but just in case :

I had a problem with my STC behaving like that and it tured out there was a split in the cable near the end of the probe that allowed moisture to bridge between the wires and the resistance change would screw up the reading and make it erratic. I ended up potting the wire break in rubber.

but check for breaks and maybe dip the probe in water and see if the readings don't change smoothly.

I've also found when I'm using induction to heat the mash that it actually crashes Inkbirds and a handheld digital themometer so maybe there's some interference? And are you running the temperature wire alongside any other wires? Never thought about it before but you can get inductance from that. I had problems with an amp once that was driving me crazy and it was because I bundled a ton of wires all together.

Had a problem with my new inkbird at the weekend as well, one probe reading about 40 deg when it was actually about 14 deg, then tested two probes in the same glass of water... bit annoyed.
IMG_0324.jpeg
IMG_0323.jpeg

Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?

Doubt either of these are your problem, but just in case :

I had a problem with my STC behaving like that and it tured out there was a split in the cable near the end of the probe that allowed moisture to bridge between the wires and the resistance change would screw up the reading and make it erratic. I ended up potting the wire break in rubber.

but check for breaks and maybe dip the probe in water and see if the readings don't change smoothly.

I've also found when I'm using induction to heat the mash that it actually crashes Inkbirds and a handheld digital themometer so maybe there's some interference? And are you running the temperature wire alongside any other wires? Never thought about it before but you can get inductance from that. I had problems with an amp once that was driving me crazy and it was because I bundled a ton of wires all together.

I checked the probe with a cold glass of water and then heating it back up by holding it, all seemed fine that way. High/low alarms working fine and switching properly. I did notice the probe cable trailing across the brew belt so I've now taped that away. I haven't tried turning it off and back on again, I suppose that's all I can do if it happens again.

Failing all that...it's new...get it swapped for a newer one.

If the shop was local I'd take it back today, if it were to be open. It was ordered online. If it does need exchanging it might prove to be a PITA dealing with it through email and phone calls 🤷

This. I’ve only ever had trouble with one of my Inkbirds and I’d had it for almost 5 years when it started playing up.

5 years is pretty good. From what I've read inkbird seem to be fairly sturdy, I can only find a handful of negative comments and a few of them are from people not setting them properly.

Well for now I don't need the cooling function. The heating switching on and off is keeping it steady at the moment.

I've just read in the leaflet that Relay Contact Capacity for both heating and cooling is 10A. Both the fridge and the heat belt are 13A, so it says on their plugs. Could this be the reason?

I've just read in the leaflet that Relay Contact Capacity for both heating and cooling is 10A. Both the fridge and the heat belt are 13A, so it says on their plugs. Could this be the reason?
That's only max rated amperage they can draw and at most probably 2 to 3 amps both combined.
I would be more concerned as to the proximity of the belt and also if there is any bare wires on the lead of the thermocouple as its heat that actually creates the electric signal in the TC to determine temperature. Have you checked it prior to use with another known good thermometer to ensure its in spec.
Also don't leave it in starsan or equivalent as it will corrode and breakdown.

I’ve had this exact thing on 3 itc308s now so will be interested to see what they say. Was fobbed off with faulty sensor when I contacted them initially

I emailed the company that I ordered from and I have to say got a very swift reply. They've offered to send me a prepaid return label for an exchange. I'm a bit dubious about swapping like for like but I don't mind paying the extra for the WiFi version... which looks identical but obviously with WiFi monitoring. They also sell pre wired mangrove jack STC 1000 (I think they're called).
What to do?

That don't sound good that's way off.
I received a reply from their support team about this issue of different temperatures on the probes and was advised to put the probe in the oven at 150 deg C for half an hour. In the end I forgot about the oven for just over an hour. The probes are now reading consistently 1 deg apart which is not ideal but I guess ok. I queried why this had happened and it turns out the cable attached to the probe is not waterproof so if water gets in during cleaning this problem can occur. This fits as the problem occurred around the same time as I was sanitising the probe.

Thought this was a warning for others to know the wire/cable attached to the probe isn't waterproof!

Anna

Interesting, the FAQ page on their website says the sensor is waterproof and ok in fresh and salt water :?:

I'm in two minds about getting one of these, anyone got an alternative?

View attachment 35387
The sensor is waterproof - it's the wire to the sensor that would seem not to be... I'm a wee bit annoyed by this. To be fair the inkbird I'm referring to is the bluetooth 2 sensor version that's suitable for BBQs. The inkbird sensor on my fermenting fridge is waterproof rated and has a rubberised cable, so I think it pays to be aware that the sensor cables are different and to consider how we use them.

Anna

[EDIT https://www.ink-bird.com/products-bluetooth-thermometer-ibt2x.html states not dishwasher safe ... not quite saying don't dip the wire in sanitiser...]

Last edited:
I bought my 308 in early August and it’s been faultless since then for 10 brews ....... until this week. :confused:

It was set at 18 degrees for my Lynx Honey Ale on Friday. All fine over the weekend and then on Tuesday I noticed that the temp of the FV and brew fridge had dropped to 10 degrees, and was still cooling. Switched it off and back on again and it’s been behaving itself since.

I've swapped the Inkbird to a Mangrove Jack's dual temperature controller. I didn't mind paying the bit extra. Only difference seems that the Inkbird has alarms for if temps get too high and too low, and you can set separate hi/lo differentials. Still, the unit has to work for this to be any use I suppose 🤷

Latest posts

Back