Favourite hops for ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motueka, Riwaka, Neslon Sauvin, Wai-iti... learning to brew whilst living in New Zealand was wonderful, but I feel like I have to re-learn a whole different set of hops now I’m home! If anyone can recommend any UK/European favourites that would be ace.

Hops I’ve tried from NZ over here don’t seem as good as the ones in NZ. I’m sure the journey over here doesn’t improve the hops, but maybe I’m just missing the sunshine and the hobbits...
I did an English IPA with fuggles and EKG. What's the best pairing for the NZ hops I am yet to try many of them. I have tried Vic secret and galaxy

Mmm so many I just ordered some mosaic and galaxy I like the sound of them its amazing what a hop can actually do the various flavours just blows my mind I still find it hard to believe that just one thing can change a beer so much

This. Also Centennial, Citra and Cascade.

Different beers to chose from with lots of that hop flavour and aroma

I did an English IPA with fuggles and EKG. What's the best pairing for the NZ hops I am yet to try many of them. I have tried Vic secret and galaxy

Motueka is quite citrusy but with more of a lime flavour than something like Citra. It’s a nice alternative if you want something a bit different.

I really like pairing it with Riwaka, which is a very tropical-flavoured hop with lots of passion fruit. They work really nicely together as very late additions or heavily dry hopped.

Wai-iti is more of a stone-fruit hop, so a good replacement in more American styles. It’s lovely with anything else fruity or on its own.

Pacific Gem is a good bittering hop with relatively high AAs and a nice gentle berry/pepper flavour.

They’re all good really, unless you dislike cat ****, in which case you may want to go easy on the Nelson Sauvin! I don’t get the cat-pissyness myself, to me it tastes more floral and wine-like but one of my mates can’t stand it!

Latest posts

Back