MJ Nelson Sauvin single hop IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermonster66

Honest mister, a'am no really a welder!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a bit impetuous but just ordered 2 x MJ Nelson Sauvin single hop pouches from Brew2bottle, mainly because they are in their clearance bin (BBE 07/2023). Only after the fact did I look for reviews and it seems that no one particularly rates this kit. It seems that Nelson Sauvin is too dry for most tastes. Although this is meant to be a single hop beer, there's no reason to stick with the kit instructions so I am hoping for some advice on using something else for the dry hop. I loved MJs Citra IPA (it seems everyone did and it's now out of stock in most places). Would Citra work with this? Also saw mention that Galaxy might work with NS.

All advice welcome!

How is a hop dry? Surely it's the beer that is dry so the solution is through adding something to sweeten it? A hop addition will alter the flavour but not reduce dryness. Nelson is a really nice hop and makes great beers all on its own.

How is a hop dry? Surely it's the beer that is dry so the solution is through adding something to sweeten it? A hop addition will alter the flavour but not reduce dryness. Nelson is a really nice hop and makes great beers all on its own.
Maybe a better interpretation of what the guys were saying in one of the reviews was that it had a wersh taste (sour, bitter). Again, you could make the point that taste is subjective and I should just use the Nelson and make up my own mind. I could always do one kit per instructions and based on the outcome, experiment with the second.

Can you split the batch? Brew a kit at intended, then take some of it into a different fermenter and add some different dry hops?

I brewed a Nelson sauvin/motueka pale ale yesterday after trying Nelson, motueka. Citra and Simcoe as hop teas.
What are you drinking tonight 2023.

Maybe a better interpretation of what the guys were saying in one of the reviews was that it had a wersh taste (sour, bitter). Again, you could make the point that taste is subjective and I should just use the Nelson and make up my own mind. I could always do one kit per instructions and based on the outcome, experiment with the second.
Sourness and bitterness are different, sounds like the beer is very bitter but the dry hops aren't causing that.

Why not ferment the wort and taste it before adding any dry hops? Then decide what to do. At that post fermentation stage you can still make a lot of adjustments. Hop teas, dry hops, lactose, lactic acid, malt extract, water, sugar, crystal malt or other specialty malt. Fruit, coffee, flavours.

Draw a sample and taste it. Aso am I happy with the basic wort?

Yes. Just add Nelson dry hops. Taste again a day later? Would another hop help?

No. How woukd you like the beef to be different? What might help?

Nelson should make a good single hop beer. It sounds like this one is perhaps too bitter for some people? That's not a simple fix but lactose would sweeten it but add a lactose flavour. Pale crystal malt or caramalt could be a good addition. Just steep 200-300g in some warm water, take the grains out, boil the liquid, cool it and add it to the beer. It will add some sugars that will ferment out quickly.

Whilst I understand what @clib is saying, I have also found that Nelson sometimes makes a beer seem dry and accentuates the bitterness of a beer.

Perhaps it's like coriander which can taste like soap to some people :confused.:

I did the MJ Nelson Sauvin a few weeks ago. it's all gone.
I do like beers with plenty of 'bite' though.

This does have plenty of bite as alfagerry says. I've also made the Sabro ipa which I found to be very nice too. Not just as 'bitey' but still quite sharp with great lingering taste in the mouth.

Latest posts

Back