Kits I Wouldn't Brew Again (moved posts)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfapat

Reaction score
Mangrove Jacks American IPA. I expected a lot given the quality of the MJ kits, but this one was a real disappointment.

It was much darker in colour than I expected and nothing like an AIPA. If you imagined you were drinking an English bitter, then it was fine, but it bore no resemblance to the style it was poporting to be.
OH No , I have just bought this, the one with citra Hops?

As the title says I have moved these posts here to keep the original on topic - Admin.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH No , I have just bought this, the one with citra Hops?

Simcoe, Citra and Nelson Sauvin. It really wasn't a bad beer at all, just nothing like an American IPA. Of course, it's always possible that something went wrong along the way, though I've seen other people mention the same thing. It will be interesting to hear how yours turns out.

Simcoe, Citra and Nelson Sauvin. It really wasn't a bad beer at all, just nothing like an American IPA. Of course, it's always possible that something went wrong along the way, though I've seen other people mention the same thing. It will be interesting to hear how yours turns out.
Ah got my order wrong , it is in fact Juicy Session IPA , Woohoo!

Wait must add , it says that I should use extra fermentables such as malt liquid extract , surely that's the kit you get.
Ill ask supplier.

The MJ pouch is equivalent to a one can kit. You need an additional 1.2kg of liquid malt extract (I think that is the same as 1kg of dry malt extract) to make 20+ litres.
So how do I resolve this quickly as the 23 l brew is ready to take yeast. If I was to introduce castor sugar dissolved , would that help . Surely if the kit is sold thus it would cover all needs into one ?

It says on the pouch and in the instructions that you need to add additional fermentables..

If you don't have any dry or liquid malt extract, then you can add granulated or brewing sugar. I've never used castor sugar but it should be OK as it is just granulated thrown into a blender. It may make the finished beer a little thinner but, as you have made the kit already, there is not much you can do. You will need to add 1kg on sugar. Anything less will make a weaker abv brew. You won't want to go below 500g.

You can dissolve it in some water and add it to the fermenter or just tip it in slowly while stirring to help it dissolve. Then add the yeast.

I'm guessing that your hydrometer reading at the moment is low (about 1.020??) which should rise to between 1.030 and 1.040 depending on how much sugar you add

Last edited:
It says on the pouch and in the instructions that you need to add additional fermentables..

If you don't have any dry or liquid malt extract, then you can add granulated or brewing sugar. I've never used castor sugar but it should be OK as it is just granulated thrown into a blender. It may make the finished beer a little thinner but, as you have made the kit already, there is not much you can do. You will need to add 1kg on sugar. Anything less will make a weaker abv brew. You won't want to go below 500g.

You can dissolve it in some water and add it to the fermenter or just tip it in slowly while stirring to help it dissolve. Then add the yeast.

I'm guessing that your hydrometer reading at the moment is low (about 1.020??) which should rise to between 1.030 and 1.040 depending on how much sugar you add
Hydrometer is sitting at 1.030, does that not tell me there is enough

Hydrometer is sitting at 1.030, does that not tell me there is enough
If your beer ferments down to 1.010, then the final beer will be about 2.75%.

If you can get the initial reading to 1.040 and it ferments to 1.010, it will be over 4%.

I dont know what yeast is with the kit (I have one ready to do next) but it might not go down as far as 1.010, may only make 1.012.

If it were me, I would add 1kg of sugar

Ah got my order wrong , it is in fact Juicy Session IPA , Woohoo!

Wait must add , it says that I should use extra fermentables such as malt liquid extract , surely that's the kit you get.
Ill ask supplier.

The Juicy Session is a cracking beer. Do you have a Wilko nearby? If so, you could get some light spraymalt to add to the beer (if they have it in stock and haven't locked the doors yet). You can use sugar, but that won't give the beer the body that spraymalt would. When I buy an MJ kit, I always order the fermentable at the same time - either MJ's liquid malt extract or spraymalt. Dark Rock's Beer Kit Enhancers are very good as a fermentable.

The MJ pouch is equivalent to a one can kit. You need an additional 1.2kg of liquid malt extract (I think that is the same as 1kg of dry malt extract) to make 20+ litres.
All done , with caster, nearest Homebrew is 50mls, so need to see how it does , brew was already made up so had to move fast , Thanks!

All done , with caster, nearest Homebrew is 50mls, so need to see how it does , brew was already made up so had to move fast , Thanks!

Always a panic when your local shop is miles away. Good you got it done :thumbsup:

FYI - Caster sugar is just fine Granulated sugar. They do market it as higher quality, but once disolved in water is exactly the same.

If your asked for icing or caster sugar and none immedialy available. Use a blender and granulated to make required qty. Just run longer for icing sugar.

There is also 3% startch (corn flour) in icing but in emergency does not matter.

Always a panic when your local shop is miles away. Good you got it done :thumbsup:

FYI - Caster sugar is just fine Granulated sugar. They do market it as higher quality, but once disolved in water is exactly the same.

If your asked for icing or caster sugar and none immedialy available. Use a blender and granulated to make required qty. Just run longer for icing sugar.

There is also 3% startch (corn flour) in icing but in emergency does not matter.
This was just one big ****up, in my panic to get the Caster in the brew , I then added hops !!!! What am I doing !!!! Too late now yeast been added , so fingers crossed , Senior moment !

The Juicy Session is a cracking beer. Do you have a Wilko nearby? If so, you could get some light spraymalt to add to the beer (if they have it in stock and haven't locked the doors yet). You can use sugar, but that won't give the beer the body that spraymalt would. When I buy an MJ kit, I always order the fermentable at the same time - either MJ's liquid malt extract or spraymalt. Dark Rock's Beer Kit Enhancers are very good as a fermentable.
Wish I had known that , no Haven’t heard of Wilkins , I am 50 mls from nearest Homebrew shop , Alas !

Going back to my thread 3/4 up , I put hops in by mistake and then yeast , 6 days long , does anyone think that maybe I should pull the hops out or just leave . From 1.042 after extra castor and hops and yeast I read 1.030 sg.

12 days in and starting at 1.042 its now at 1.020 20c. Am I on the right path , still has a bit of fiz in the sample tube I am taking SG from.

Latest posts

Back