Fermenation and secondary (2+2+2) problems.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just supported my statement. Oh, how do I explain this, what homebrewers buy for under 100 pounds is no where near what the specs are for large industry uses. When you get to production levels, the amount of time spent on sterilizing your equipment is so compounded that it would drive us homebrewers nuts. We just throw some starsan in our FV. But these super larger stainless steel FV, go through this regiment that is off the scale. Food companies put all their stainless into high temp, sterilization procedures that cost a ton. But cheaper than a lawsuit. I myself am moving into stainless FV as my current system can't handle the load. So I'm spending 80% of my time on what I used spend 10% of time on. The OP needs to focus on his FV and get hard advice on working with stainless in this field. That's what I'm stating.
I didn't support your original statement that SS is in some way 'porous'. It isn't. That's why I posted. However what I do agree on is that SS is more likely to become contaminated than glass, but not because of porosity, because of more surface irregularities compared to glass.

Sorry peebee, but I thought the whole point of an open forum was for members to help each other by suggesting possible solutions to questions posted. A sort of brainstorming scenario which can sometimes provide a solution that others may have overlooked. The OP can read each post and decide for himself which is the best solution for his problem. Given that you are not the OP I'm not sure what gives you the right to make such a declaration.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I didn't support your original statement that SS is in some way 'porous'. It isn't. That's why I posted. However what I do agree on is that SS is more likely to become contaminated than glass, but not because of porosity, because of more surface irregularities compared to glass.

The cleaning compound he used, stated above, I'm sorry but it was Foxy I think that said it, would PIT the stainless. This is a very common thing when dealing with acid cleaners. If treated right, you are correct. But in this field I've rarely met, and at the start including me, who treated their SS with caution buying into the idea it was bulletproof. It's not. It's a very soft material that can be damaged. Granted it's stronger than our plastic buckets, but it's still has to be treated right. I simply pointed out that I would focus on sterilization on the FV since that is the weakiest link in the chain. If apples are apples and we both are working on a client in the brewing business than I would digress to you. I've followed your posts and you clearly know your stuff. But this issue I really feel he's accepted the standard sanitize regiment that all homebrewers follow. Nothing wrong with it. But most homebrewers toss out their buckets within many brews. Stainless, even though looks slick, has so many hidden places for yeast and nasties to hide. One member pointed out those ball valves HAVE TO BE disabled and boiled. A plastic valve has 2 peices. Easily sanitized. The ball valve has four to five. Get good at brewing then get great at cleaning. Your beer will follow.

One thing which I don't think has been mentioned is yeast. Do you use dry or liquid yeast? I was using liquid yeast and started getting infections. I suspect my sanitation was not up to scratch. I was re-using the yeast several times and think it was getting infected. Switched to dry yeast and bought a new fermenter to be safe and the problem has disappeared. A lot less work with dry yeast and can't say the beer is noticeably worse for it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

That's strange, as I was reading these replies, my mind wandered onto yeast. I was using liquid yeast and reculturing;- thats when the problems started. Gone back to dry yeast (crossmyloof) and the problem seems to have abated. Got a brew going at the moment ( a Double Diamond Clone; who the hell does that!?) it's on to day 12 and no problems, so fingers crossed.....

That's strange, as I was reading these replies, my mind wandered onto yeast. I was using liquid yeast and reculturing;- thats when the problems started. Gone back to dry yeast (crossmyloof) and the problem seems to have abated. Got a brew going at the moment ( a Double Diamond Clone; who the hell does that!?) it's on to day 12 and no problems, so fingers crossed.....
I am pleased you may have sorted out your problem, and the solution appears to have been a simple one i.e. contaminated yeast. :thumb:
It's been a tortuous path that has got us here, touching upon such diverse subjects as Brownian motion, farts, porous metals, airstones, ball valves and even referencing the expertise of Louis Pasteur.
Enjoy your Double Diamond, it works wonders y'know.

Thanks all, for all the advice and help. Hopefully the problems are now a thing of the past.....time will tell!
That's what I like about this forum; a complete thickhead and inept fledgling brewer like myself can come on here and get sound, experienced advice. Got to say some of it is completely over my head, but nice to get the brain cell stimlated once in a while (especially difficult when sampling a little too much of the good stuff!)

Cheers all :thumb::thumb:

Me? 35 years into the game and all I've ever used is plastic FVs, super-dilute bleach and sod.met. Dismantle taps and such, and treat likewise. Thousands of brews and not so much as one infection afaik. Just sayin'....

... touching upon such diverse subjects as Brownian motion, ...
Hoy ... It's no trivial stuff "Brownian Motion". It's what you need for your improbability drive: Apparently a strong cup of tea does the job. (This will be lost on "Dutto" who wasn't impressed with me referencing scientific literature).

In its simplest terms, a 'Brownian Motion' is something found loitering at the bottom of the john. I think you guys are over-analysing things. Just make the goddamn beer, leave the lid on firmly and bottle / cask when you can be bothered.

In its simplest terms, a 'Brownian Motion' is something found loitering at the bottom of the john. I think you guys are over-analysing things. Just make the goddamn beer, leave the lid on firmly and bottle / cask when you can be bothered.

That's it @Gunge you tell how it's done....:whistle:

"Goddamn Beer"? You think that will be better than a hot cup of tea? Have you got a recipe? The tea is playing havoc with my atomic vector plotter so I need something different to try. Teach me for getting my plotter from China - cost me five grand and looks suspiciously like an alarm clock.

Anyway, you're right. This guy for one needs to lighten up and stop worrying about serious stuff like improbability drives.

Latest posts

Back