Fermentasaurus.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you find the Fermentasaurus a few months on? I'm looking at getting one, I'd like to really simplify my process from FV to bottle and take out as much process and vessels/syphoning to reduce infection risk. I like the idea of fermenting under pressure, the ability to dump yeast & trub and ferment straight from the vessel.

Is it possible to ferment under pressure, then bottle the carbonated beer? I was watching some videos of bottling from keg and people flush their bottles with CO2 first, something I've never done and wondering why this is necessary from keg? Can you bottle directly without having to get a CO2 canister and flushing the bottles?

How did you find the Fermentasaurus a few months on? I'm looking at getting one, I'd like to really simplify my process from FV to bottle and take out as much process and vessels/syphoning to reduce infection risk. I like the idea of fermenting under pressure, the ability to dump yeast & trub and ferment straight from the vessel.

Is it possible to ferment under pressure, then bottle the carbonated beer? I was watching some videos of bottling from keg and people flush their bottles with CO2 first, something I've never done and wondering why this is necessary from keg? Can you bottle directly without having to get a CO2 canister and flushing the bottles?
I like it, but I don’t have the pressure kit.

I’m concerned about oxygen getting in changing the bottle but don’t think it’s an issue - I have bought 1L Sodastream bottles to replace the smaller bottles to reduce the amount of changing needed.

As a normal fermenter I like it, I’m certainly getting clearer beer (not sure how much of that is due to the fact I’m now able to cold crash) and things like being able to harvest yeast and drop out the trub aredefinitely a plus. Having said all that, I used my Spiedel fermenter for my last 2 brews.

I like it, but I don’t have the pressure kit.

I’m concerned about oxygen getting in changing the bottle but don’t think it’s an issue - I have bought 1L Sodastream bottles to replace the smaller bottles to reduce the amount of changing needed.

As a normal fermenter I like it, I’m certainly getting clearer beer (not sure how much of that is due to the fact I’m now able to cold crash) and things like being able to harvest yeast and drop out the trub aredefinitely a plus. Having said all that, I used my Spiedel fermenter for my last 2 brews.
I've never purged my bottles and oxidation has never been an issue. Is there some difference when loading in beer from a keg? I can't see why there would be.

I've never purged my bottles and oxidation has never been an issue. Is there some difference when loading in beer from a keg? I can't see why there would be.

So the least amount of oxygen exposure does the following things:

a) Greatly Increases beer stability (color, hops, flavor, aroma)
b) Greatly increases the beer flavor profile stability and lifespan before the beer is affected
c) If you make an oat/wheat heavy beer it will massively stop visible and not visible oxidization
d) Great increase in hop aroma stability (means all those expensive hops will hang around for longer)

You are right in that you dont "have" to do anything. And if you haven't done any O2 purging of kegs or bottles, or really paid attention to reducing O2 expsoure before hand then you wont know the difference. But if you did start to do it you WILL notice the difference.

Every time i want to fill a keg i fill a cleaned and sterilized keg with starsan solution and then purge the tiny head space left with Co2. I then push the starsan out of that keg into another to create a O2 free keg that is completely sterile.

I then pressure transfer by beer from my FS into the keg and the beer has had zero O2 exposure.

My hoppy beers are now way brighter, for way longer, my NEIPA's are never brown and my dark beers never take on that bitter flavor after extended periods in the keg.

Last edited:

b) Greatly increases the beer flavor profile stability and lifespan before the beer is affected
c) If you make an oat/wheat heavy beer it will massively stop visible and not visible oxidization
d) Great increase in hop aroma stability (means all those expensive hops will hang around for longer)

You are right in that you dont "have" to do anything. And if you haven't done any O2 purging of kegs or bottles, or really paid attention to reducing O2 expsoure before hand then you wont know the difference. But if you did start to do it you WILL notice the difference.

Every time i want to fill a keg i fill a cleaned and sterilized keg with starsan solution and then purge the tiny head space left with Co2. I then push the starsan out of that keg into another to create a O2 free keg that is completely sterile.

I then pressure transfer by beer from my FS into the keg and the beer has had zero O2 exposure.

My hoppy beers are now way brighter, for way longer, my NEIPA's are never brown and my dark beers never take on that bitter flavor after extended periods in the keg.
I understand this, it sounds like there are some great benefits to CO2 flushing, but just to be clear: flushing the bottles has nothing to do with carbing up the bottle. It's not a case where if you are filling a bottle from a pressurised vessel (like a Fermentasaurus) it won't be flat beer.

Ordered mine yesterday (Friday) with pressure lid. I use a 30l Brew Devil and always seem to end up with a load of trub - it blocks all the filters, despite whirlpool - so now leave them out and dump all to FV. It will be great to let it settle and dump out of the bottom before pitching yeast. I was going to wait for a FS2 but it looks as though it may be some time before it is released, leave alone get to the uk. No-one has mentioned brewing under pressure. Is it worth it? Love the idea of purging a starsan filled cornie!

I understand this, it sounds like there are some great benefits to CO2 flushing, but just to be clear: flushing the bottles has nothing to do with carbing up the bottle. It's not a case where if you are filling a bottle from a pressurised vessel (like a Fermentasaurus) it won't be flat beer.
Your right. O2 purging has nothing to do with carbonation. It’s all to do with beer stability from the lowest possible o2 exposure and ultimately dissolved oxygen in packaging. Be it bottle, keg, pressure barrel or can.

Ordered mine yesterday (Friday) with pressure lid. I use a 30l Brew Devil and always seem to end up with a load of trub - it blocks all the filters, despite whirlpool - so now leave them out and dump all to FV. It will be great to let it settle and dump out of the bottom before pitching yeast. I was going to wait for a FS2 but it looks as though it may be some time before it is released, leave alone get to the uk. No-one has mentioned brewing under pressure. Is it worth it? Love the idea of purging a starsan filled cornie!

It’s interesting. Since I have had my FS I always brew under 0.25 - 0.5 bar. I find it keeps the Krausen down and from I can see I can stop the fermentation from running away. Allegedly it can be used to keep down esters but I’ve not got an evidence of that.

That's very interesting, Hoddy. I had always bottled on the assumption that the residual carbon dioxide in the beer would, in effect, purge the bottle anyway, especially if granular priming sugar caused it to effervesce. I've never come across this "browning" you talk about, but I'm always up for a better and more stable beer. I'll give it a try.

You
That's very interesting, Hoddy. I had always bottled on the assumption that the residual carbon dioxide in the beer would, in effect, purge the bottle anyway, especially if granular priming sugar caused it to effervesce. I've never come across this "browning" you talk about, but I'm always up for a better and more stable beer. I'll give it a try.
you will see the visual affects of oxidisation I’m very pale beers with high protein content and the you will also taste o2 affects in any beer after 6-8 weeks and there after.

You most likely have but not noticed the aging o2 affect on your beers. But anything you can (reasonably) do to increase the quality and stability of your much loved beer has to be a good thing.

It’s interesting. Since I have had my FS I always brew under 0.25 - 0.5 bar. I find it keeps the Krausen down and from I can see I can stop the fermentation from running away. Allegedly it can be used to keep down esters but I’ve not got an evidence of that.

How do you control the pressure as the pressure increases during fermentation. All I can see is the Safety valve in the cap!

Spunding valve on order. My first totally airless, pressurised ferment and pressurised transfer to keg will take place this week with an Octoberfest Lager. Can't wait!!

The more research I do the more I want to get one, but I'd like to get gen 2, not sure when it comes out though.

The more research I do the more I want to get one, but I'd like to get gen 2, not sure when it comes out though
Have a trawl around the internet. From what i can see it is unlikely to be this side of xmas. There is a legal dispute going on as to who owns the rights and i cant see anything being launched before it is resolved. It looks as though FS1 is being made by a different company to the one developing FS2. I was going to wait but have no patience. It could be an excuse to have a second one if and when FS2 comes to market!!

On a separate note does anyone use an ispindel when fermenting under pressure. Can it handle the pressure? Does it get in the way?

Fro
Have a trawl around the internet. From what i can see it is unlikely to be this side of xmas. There is a legal dispute going on as to who owns the rights and i cant see anything being launched before it is resolved. It looks as though FS1 is being made by a different company to the one developing FS2. I was going to wait but have no patience. It could be an excuse to have a second one if and when FS2 comes to market!!

On a separate note does anyone use an ispindel when fermenting under pressure. Can it handle the pressure? Does it get in the way?
From what I have seen I tend to agree that the Gen2 could be a long way off. And actually you might see two diff gen2 fermenters. Slightly different and with diff names.

What is an ispindle? @Isolec82

I’ve just received my FS from the malt Miller - I’m seriously looking forward to using it later this week. Can I ask how you other FS users fill them, from the top or the bottom? I will be transferring my wort from the boiler via a pump.

I’ve just received my FS from the malt Miller - I’m seriously looking forward to using it later this week. Can I ask how you other FS users fill them, from the top or the bottom? I will be transferring my wort from the boiler via a pump.
From the videos I've seen they fill it from the top, and I was planning on doing the same. This is because wort out from the kettle has been cooled and allowing it to "drop in" to the fermenter will aerate the wort as well.

Did you get the pressure kit as well?

Latest posts

Back