Fermentasaurus.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Mine arrived today. I’m currently checking for leaks:
515CC375-47F4-40C7-B39A-77E451B6B075.jpeg

I’m brewing on Friday but have no brewfridge at the moment. I’ll be aright fermenting in the utility room as long as I stick a thermal blanket over the top won’t I?

The only issue I’ve had is that I’m a bit of a numpty and ordered the wrong tubing for the bottling barn. Maltmiller said it takes 1/2 (12.7mm) or 3/8inch (9.5mm) tubing but stock 12mm or 8mm so I got the 12 thinking the 8 wouldn’t fit. The 12 has come and there’s no chance that will fit in a bottle and it easily slides to the very biggest barb. Off to eBay methinks!

I’ll be aright fermenting in the utility room as long as I stick a thermal blanket over the top won’t I?
Hi!
What makes you think us common folk are going to advise a Fermentasaurus owner on anything? :D

Seriously, although green with envy, I'd be off to Tesco to grab a couple of cheap single duvets to swaddle the baby in.

How did this become its own thread? It was a reply to the MM sale thread - now it looks like a “look at me” thread!

How did this become its own thread? It was a reply to the MM sale thread - now it looks like a “look at me” thread!

I copied the post here (leaving the original in the other thread) as i am sure members would have missed it in the original and many may not know about the Fermentasaurus. wink...

Mine arrived yesterday too, looks a fine bit of kit, although I wont be able to use it until mid December as we are going away on holiday in early December, I will be looking forward to getting back to try it out. Did you get the optional pressure kit, I did as I wanted to try fermenting under pressure, as well as transferring to kegs without exposing the brew to oxygen

Mine arrived yesterday too, looks a fine bit of kit, although I wont be able to use it until mid December as we are going away on holiday in early December, I will be looking forward to getting back to try it out. Did you get the optional pressure kit, I did as I wanted to try fermenting under pressure, as well as transferring to kegs without exposing the brew to oxygen
I don’t have corny kegs so I didn’t bother. I’m mainly using it for ease of harvesting yeast and to dump the trub. However pressure transfer etc would interest me if and when I go down that route.

One issue I’m having with my new toy is sourcing a brew fridge big enough. Looks like I’m going to need a tall larder fridge but my local Facebook selling pages, Gumtree and my local house clearances shop don’t seem to get many!

One issue I’m having with my new toy is sourcing a brew fridge big enough. Looks like I’m going to need a tall larder fridge but my local Facebook selling pages, Gumtree and my local house clearances shop don’t seem to get many!
Found one. Picking it up one evening this week

Get yourself a Inkbird temp controller and your away
Already have 3 of them (although 1 needs a new probe). I had an insulated “brew cupboard” under the stairs in the old house that was around 17C all year round. No such luxury in the new house (although having a garage and a utility room improves my home brewing experience significantly) so I need a brew fridge

Last edited:
937900D1-58B0-424B-9E65-5FFC7D3F4450.jpeg
950314F7-A26B-42EB-A2A8-5E141F358507.jpeg
Some 8mm tubing arrived in the post today and it all looks much more suitable for bottling. I’ll need to soak it in hot water a little for Notting day to help it stretch but it fits the bottling barb and my bottling wand no problem.

… I’ll need to soak it in hot water ...
Just make sure you heed the warnings on the Fermentasaurus not to get hot water near that. It's the reason I hesitated to get one, I couldn't trust myself to keep the hot water out (I've trashed enough small PET bottles with hot water).

Just make sure you heed the warnings on the Fermentasaurus not to get hot water near that. It's the reason I hesitated to get one, I couldn't trust myself to keep the hot water out (I've trashed enough small PET bottles with hot water).
I just mean dipping the end of my 8mm tubing in hot water to soften it then putting it on the end of the hard plastic bottling barb. There will be no boiling water going near my Fermentasaurus.

I just mean dipping the end of my 8mm tubing in hot water to soften it then putting it on the end of the hard plastic bottling barb. There will be no boiling water going near my Fermentasaurus.
I know. But I thought it worth pointing out. I reckon there is going to be many a tear shed by those that do not heed the warnings. I obviously think I was going to be one of those people, hence I've stuck with stainless steel (at great expense!).

(EDIT: And you don't need "boiling water". I think 50C will send PET screwy.)

Like your attitude @MickDundee, just moved in and already filled the place with brewing paraphernalia. Almost every photo shows your poor brewing kit on the floor, I hope you'll be buying some furniture and worktops on which to rest all this valuable equipment?wink...

Nice to see someone getting their priorities right! Ha, ha! :hat:

Like your attitude @MickDundee, just moved in and already filled the place with brewing paraphernalia. Almost every photo shows your poor brewing kit on the floor, I hope you'll be buying some furniture and worktops on which to rest all this valuable equipment?wink...

Nice to see someone getting their priorities right! Ha, ha! :hat:
Actually, most of my photos are of the utility room worktop. When I’m not actually brewing it is living on the floor in the corner of the garage but I will Be buying shelves to store my important stuff on once my shed arrives and I can get the useless things like lawnmowers and kids’ garden toys out of my brew/gym space!

Back