Fermentation fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you said airlocks would restrict what you can fit in... I know your demis will have airlocks but you don't need one on the FV (if you have one). Many / most / all of us who use under-counter fridges for fermentation can't fit an FV in with an airlock so we just don't fit one.

coyspurs said:
You may want to consider fixing plywood shelfs as the FVs will be too heavy for the normal shelfs. Get rid of the door compartments as well. Good luck :thumb:

Yeah, I'll be looking at the shelves, I'll have to see if the old man has any suitable wood lying around. I may keep the door compartments though, they look potentially useful for the first week or so of conditioning bottles.

winelight said:
And you said airlocks would restrict what you can fit in... I know your demis will have airlocks but you don't need one on the FV (if you have one). Many / most / all of us who use under-counter fridges for fermentation can't fit an FV in with an airlock so we just don't fit one.

My FV's don't have airlocks, the air has to escape the old fashioned way through the not perfectly sealed lid. The main restriction with space is the shelf slots, I'd have to build an internal frame I reckon with custom shelf heights, and that is beyond my meagre skills.

Would anyone know what size tube heater would be good for a fridge this size? Would a 60W 12" heater do, or would I need something bigger?

Cleaned it out and swapped the hinges over today. It's sealing better, but there is still a tiny gap which is now at the bottom of the opening side.

Berk said:
Cleaned it out and swapped the hinges over today. It's sealing better, but there is still a tiny gap which is now at the bottom of the opening side.

I would check it is standing level. Sounds to me it's standing crooked so is off square. An adjustment of the feet should sort it out.

Thank you, that sounds like an easy enough fix, I'll have a look next time I'm in the cellar. It might be levelled with scrap wood though, as the feet are knackered, and one of the wheels at the back is broken. :D

I use a 60 w heater from tool station and it works fine on my fridge even in a unheated garage

I use a 60w heater too. My fridge is very similar to yours. It has held temperatures perfectly even during the coldest nights. Mine's in a detached garage. A 60w heater should be fine for you.

I made a wooden shelf to support the fv, with slats to allow the heat to rise through to the rest of the fridge. Seems to work absolutely fine :cheers:

Thank you Gethin79 and Sean P, just the confirmation I was looking for. I should get paid tomorrow so I'll be able to get this all ordered over the week and hoipefully set up for my next brew. :thumb:

Is the door sealing OK now? Could be the door is distorted. Might be worth removing it again and trying (gently) to bend it?

I haven't had a look at it again yet as I've been in the study all day (avoiding) working*. My first step will be to level it off, if it's still not sealing fully I'll have a look at the door itself and see if it's distorted. Thanks for the tip.

*So the temptation is to run straight down there and start sorting it out. :whistle:

Back