Fermentation has halted at 1.026

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leard

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a milk stout and my fermentation has stopped at 1.026 when I was expecting 1.017. I'm not sure if this is because I mashed too high and don't have as much fermentable sugar as I thought, or if fermentation just hasn't gone well. Mash temperature about 68C for an hour. Here's the grain bill:

3.3kg Maris Otter
0.5kg Chocolate
0.4kg Roasted barley
0.3kg Dark crystal
0.3kg Flaked oats
0.2kg Lactose

Used S-04 yeast. Beersmith predicted roughly 65% attenuation but I'm only at 49% currently, 10 days in. I don't mind a high FG, however it only makes the ABV 3.4%.

What options do I have? Could I add some more sugar to increase the ABV? Is this a stuck fermentation that I can unstick? I've tried shaking the bucket and managed to get one more point out of it over a few days. I'm now out yeast however so don't know what else to do.

Additionally, you have 33% of your fermentables (including the lactose) from things which add much to your wort, except much less sugar than your Maris Otter.

Expect a low attenuation with these figures, but don't worry. If brewed well, it will taste nice. You could add extra sugar, but you could also pretend you have made a Scottish stout.

Additionally, you have 33% of your fermentables (including the lactose) from things which add much to your wort, except much less sugar than your Maris Otter.

Expect a low attenuation with these figures, but don't worry. If brewed well, it will taste nice. You could add extra sugar, but you could also pretend you have made a Scottish stout.

Oh completely missed the small amount of MO . Agreed, you can always add some sugar to up the abv. But dont overdo it. 200-300 g shoulnt affect the beer that much.

Latest posts

Back