Fermentation Temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve123

Reaction score
How do breweries maintain heat in their fermenters. I know they keep the temperature down with chillers and glycol during fermentation. However after fermentation is over and they leave on primary or secondary to condition how do they keep temperature at 18/19c?

Pretty sure its a water jacket

Ah yes, for some reason I was thinking that a water jacket was just for cooling. However I assume they must heat and cool as well. I don’t know why i didn’t think this myself!
Thanks for your reply

so ive noticed that the beer in my fermenter has risen to 28c, im pretty sure the fermentation process is almost completed and im bottling it on Wednesday after 10 days.
Will all the hot weather we have had ruin the beer?

so ive noticed that the beer in my fermenter has risen to 28c, im pretty sure the fermentation process is almost completed and im bottling it on Wednesday after 10 days.
Will all the hot weather we have had ruin the beer?

As long as the temperature was lower during the active stage of fermentation (which is generally over during the first week of fermentation and when the chances of producing undesired compounds/flavours are highest), you’ll probably be fine. Even if it wasn’t lower then, you might still be fine 😁.

What are you brewing btw?

Back