Fermenting Bucket with Airlock - not very functional?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought this: http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipme ... n-lid-p800

I've put a wine kit in it and its fermenting vigorously :clap:

But rather than the airlock bubbling away, the lid tends to bulge up and I have to release the pressure by opening the lid every day or so.

The airlock bunghole (is that a word?) is fitted near the side of the lid.

Is this common with this kind of bucket? Or is it because I poured boiling water on the lid when I was sterilising? :whistle:

Hmmm? The CO2 should escape through the easiest route, if its not coming out of the bunghole then it must be blocked and not allowing it to get out...can't think of anything else. You could just leave the lid open a crack on one edge, your wine will be fine as the CO2 will form a protective blanket over the top :thumb:

Vossy1 said:
Check the bubbler/air lock by trying to blow through it, sometimes they have a plastic seal at the base which should be removed :roll:

I've used this airlock a fair bit, definitely not a new one.it bubbles like mad when I push down on the bulging lid!

possibly just a very thin lid responding to not a lot of pressure cos its not blocked if when u push down and increase the pressure more it will bubble.. it will bubble eventually :) or perhaps there is a small bit of unsealled lid thats letting the gas out after the lid bulges but before it bubbles, a bulge shows positive pressure so nothing is getting in there :)

i had 1 bucket n lid without an airlock that when sealled would make the loudest convincing fart noise when it did release built up co2 ;) kept at one end of the house made quite a few visitors look very disconcerted when it resounded down the hallway, hear what ? ;) ..

Back