Fermenting temperature help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two beers fermenting from yesterday's brewday. Both brews are fermenting vigorously, checked the stick-on thermometers earlier, they read 24°C and 26°C respectively - Nottingham yeast is meant to ferment no higher than 21°C! Ambient temperature is 20°C so not sure how to best lower the temperature? Is it too late? Been fermenting since yesterday evening. Both beers are in the style of a Wee Heavy.
Dennis

I've not done it with a large vessel but I found that wrapping a wine dj in a wet cloth and then sitting it in a tray of water so it wicks up into the cloth consistently cools the dj by 2°. In the summer I only had to top up the water every couple of days. Adding a fan should increase the effect significantly I would think.

To avoid dipping a thermometer into the wine I made a little holder out of a cork cut in half lengthways with a channel cut into it for the thermometer, and taped it to the side of the dj. The insulating effect of the cork means it reads the dj temperature instead of the air temp.

Latest posts

Back