Fermenting Under Pressure (Accidentally)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mungri

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got a Mosaic IPA on last Thursday, transferred into fermenter and pitched US05 yeast. Fermented @ 19c.
As I always do, I screwed down the lid of my Speidel fermenter and gave it a good swirl to mix the yeast in.
Had a quick look in my brew fridge yesterday and the Speidel was all out of shape.
I'd forgotten to unscrew the lid and it's been fermenting under pressure for 5 days.
Question being will this do the beer any harm?
After releasing the pressure the fermenter went back to its normal shape and I took a sample.
Tasted OK and when it stopped fizzing measured it at 1020, which is pretty much what I'd expect from US05 at this stage.
Hoping it's going to be OK. No idea what pressure it's been fermenting at though.asad1

Got a Mosaic IPA on last Thursday, transferred into fermenter and pitched US05 yeast. Fermented @ 19c.
As I always do, I screwed down the lid of my Speidel fermenter and gave it a good swirl to mix the yeast in.
Had a quick look in my brew fridge yesterday and the Speidel was all out of shape.
I'd forgotten to unscrew the lid and it's been fermenting under pressure for 5 days.
Question being will this do the beer any harm?
After releasing the pressure the fermenter went back to its normal shape and I took a sample.
Tasted OK and when it stopped fizzing measured it at 1020, which is pretty much what I'd expect from US05 at this stage.
Hoping it's going to be OK. No idea what pressure it's been fermenting at though.asad1
Your beer will be OK, I did something similar when playing around with pressure fermentation. The yeast is what suffers under pressure, it isn't the pressure that will stress the yeast it is the co2 which is dissolved into the beer.
This is what happened to my 2 cubes, the beer cleared quickly and was ready to drink within a couple of days, extremely smooth, but being an English bitter lost the esters I was expecting.
001.JPG

Your beer will be OK, I did something similar when playing around with pressure fermentation. The yeast is what suffers under pressure, it isn't the pressure that will stress the yeast it is the co2 which is dissolved into the beer.
This is what happened to my 2 cubes, the beer cleared quickly and was ready to drink within a couple of days, extremely smooth, but being an English bitter lost the esters I was expecting.
View attachment 21003
Cheers @foxy. I’ve done similar before, but only for a couple of days. That beer turned out fine so hopefully this one will as well.

It's just the plastic Speidel @foxy or I would have a go at that.
Impressed with the quality of it though, holding that much pressure and just bouncing back into shape.

Latest posts

Back