Fermenting Vessels - Lifespan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just wondering if folk replace their fermenters after a period of usage or if you're all still using the same ones you bought back in the 70s/80s/90s/etc.? I'm talking about the plastic bucket type not stainless, conicals etc.

Also if you make stuff other than beer do you tend to keep specific fermenters for that purpose?

Up until recently I didn't make loads of beer so only had the one fermenting bucket which has probably been in use on and off since the late 90's. It stays clean but it has got stained by brews over time, never had a duff brew from it though. I'm thinking I should probably chuck it soon and start with a new one.

I'm also going to start wine making from kits, I assume it's good practice to have a set of buckets for wine use / not to use the beer ones so as not to risk imparting any beer flavour into the wine or vice versa? I'm also considering doing a bit of turbo cider for the summer, would it be okay to use the wine buckets for this of should I get another one dedicated to cider.

Appreciate they aren't the most expensive things in home brewing but also don't want to buy kit that I don't necessarily need to.

My FV`s are at least 5 years old and the tanin on the inside is well and truly brown. I never scrub them, just wipe them out with a soft cloth and spray them with sanitizer, then wipe again. My boiling kettle has never been cleaned, again just wiped clean, no need to sanitize.

I commented on this in another thread, can't remember Whig now though :-(

I work in the PU/PE/PC/resin/plastics moulding industry.

Whilst relatively stable, PU still degrades over time. I gave the analogy of the patio table left in the sun. You can scratch the surface off, revealing 'fresh' PU underneath.

I don't replace mine at a specific interval, just when they start to look a bit to shabby and stained.

I don't throw them away though, they're put to good use elsewhere in the brewing/cleaning/drip dry etc stages. Standing bottles upside down in the old FV etc.

Oh that was it, the bottle bomb on the kitchen thread.

I put my glass swingtops inside an old FV to contain any potential explosions.

I have several vessels that are a few years old and I use them for beers, wines, TC etc. I don't keep vessels for a specific type of brewing, because if they are cleaned using something like VWP, then there isn't any taste or smell transfer.

I think the thing to really watch out for is scratches on the inside, as these can be more difficult to clean and sanitise and could (theoretically) harbour germs that could spoil a brew.

I was using an old FV, bought from Boots in Watford in about 1980, until 2 months ago. However this has been recently retired, because of the build up of scratches. As long as the surface is clean and relatively scrach free then I'd keep using it.
BG

I've got 2 x 5 gallon FVs. The youngest is about 6 years old, the oldest over 10 and maybe 15. I've found in the past that eventually they develop cracks in the base from lifting them when full and the plastic getting brittle I suppose, resulting in minor seepage. Having said that it's possible that modern plastics are more long lasting than they used to be as these 2 are bearing up well.
By the way I sanitise with boiling water and always fill the FV with near boiling wort & no-chill.

It's probably a good idea to have a set of buckets for wine and one for beer. Having said that though the big plastic buckets I use for dunk sparging my grain in, I also use for washing my bike. I do rinse em out after though and have never noticed any bike flavoured off flavours :lol:

I'd just say having worked with all these precursor chemicals, if it looks bad it may well be bad.

Thermal shock, uv light etc can degrade the polymers. Food grade plastique doesn't 'leach' or 'sweat' like some resins do under load.

I'd just be on the cautious side, if it looks bad n scratchy is it worth it?

I've got an FV with a tonne of impact marks from the spoon. I'm sure you all do to .....

Minor spelling

Latest posts

Back