Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha. Aye, got the missus into it as well now, she keeps asking how it all works! Think I'll have to put on a cider for her soon to keep her happy :)

Question! instructions say add hops after 5 days and then leave another 5. As most are taking 14 days ish am I better adding on day 5 or day 9? Thanks
Jim

Question! instructions say add hops after 5 days and then leave another 5. As most are taking 14 days ish am I better adding on day 5 or day 9? Thanks
Jim
Added mine after it stopped fermenting and left it the 5 days or so the instructions said.:hat:

Sorry newbie confused here! So after final gravity? So add after maybe 14 days and then leave for 5?? Sorry

Sorry newbie confused here! So after final gravity? So add after maybe 14 days and then leave for 5?? Sorry

Yes add hops 5 days from end of fermentation if I were you. That's what I did and it tasted great.
It may be a little too hoppy otherwise (if there's such a thing)

Just finished getting this in the FV.
Topped up to 22L
OG : 1042
Pitched yeast at 22.3c

Under me stairs with the Nog, which has been sitting at 18c for 10days now.
Will add the hops on day 12 I reckon that's estimating 17 days in FV.

Hoping his turns out to be a belter! Everyone seems to chuffed with this kit!

For the people who have kegged this, did you add all the priming sugar to the barrel or just measured around 80-85g of it? Will it be over carbed using the whole 110g?

Cheers.

I'm running about 18-20c so might add hops on day 9 or 10 I think after a reading...

Sounds like a plan. I'm trying to leave my FV's alone for a full two weeks at least.
Have been thinking and will probably add the hops on day 14 now, that's going to be 19 days in total then keg.
Not sure wether to chuck the whole hop bag in or half or what, seems to come out 'vey' hoppy if adding the lot. Hmm...

I added the whole lot of priming sugar to my pressure barrel mate. Did't carb up all that much, but I don't seem to have much luck with PBs. That said, I quite like my beer flat :)

Let me consult my notes, ahem!

Brewed short to 21 ltrs to up the old ABV a bit, along with a little extra oomph from 125g of light spray malt, as is my wont!

Used 4 x 5 ltr bottles of Morrisons spring water (it's cheaper than Sainburys or Waitrose!), boiling 2.5 litres of it to heat the LME bags and mix with spray malt. Experience tells me this gets me to c. 20*c when topping up to between 21 - 23 ltrs of cold. Added this from on high to aerate the wort. Got temp bang on with a nice frothy wort! Sprinkled yeast in and impressed with how much of the little buggers came out of sachet provided. OG of 1045 - disappointing after the extra efforts and a bloody good stirring!

Day 1, nice steady 18 - 20*C - nowt happening. Ditto day 2. Ditto day 4! Decided to pitch some more yeast and add some nutrient to be sure. Also had on heat pad over night which upped the temperature to 22*C - bingo, all kicked off on day 5! Decent krausen up to the FV lid!

Due to this I didn't add the hop pellets until day 9 anticipating a longer than suggested fermentation (which is nearly always the case with kits anyway!).

Days 6 to 15 bubbled away gently. Stopped on day 16 with FG of 1009 - so, with priming, looking at an ABV if around 4.8% which I'm happy with for a summer style ale.

Sadly, due to 'equipment issues' I abandoned my first attempt at batch priming! Used two Coopers drops in 32 x 500ml bottles (also want it fizzy for summer!) and 30 gms of granulated sugar in my latter day metric equivalent of a Watneys Party 7, in one of the left over 5 ltr water bottles!!!

Next time I do a kit with with hop pellets, I'm going to rack it off to a second FV to clear a week to 10 days before bottling as it's pretty damn cloudy ! The last trial jar sample tasted pretty damn good though so I don't mind if it's not crystal clear!

Just the two months to wait before Summers starts and I'll report back then!!!!

Update - 23/4/14

Moved bottles from warm to garage two days ago. My clear glass control bottle was as clear as a bell! Sediment nice and compact on the bottom.

Tonight, I was in the garage and decided to see how it was coming along, by swiping a sample! WOW! I can only begin to imagine how good it will be in a few weeks time! Very well carbonated - as I intended - hoppy, but not overpowering as added nearer middle than end of fermentation.

Tried Marstons EPA? Not dissimilar to that!

Just bottled after 2 1/2 weeks with about 3/4 of the hops in for the last 7 days and cannot wait to try the finished article after a sneaky sip whilst bottling, wow.
I will be starting a Coopers Canadian Blonde this weekend as I fancy something light for those hot summer days.
I did not know whether the home brewing thing would be for me but think I am already hooked and am very impressed with the quality of the beer that can be made and look forward to trying many more kits.

Hi Everybody
I have moved onto the festival kits after working up through various coopers kits then a wherry kit which were all perfectly drinkable.
I brewed this one as per the instructions, week before adding hops, week with them in, 2 weeks bottled warm and 10 days so far in the garage. Had a couple of bottles to test yesterday.... different ballpark!!!! this is delicious, hoppy but not overly so with a grapefruity taste. it is clear and well carbonated holds its head throughout (not that it was in the glass for long:whistle:)
i would thoroughly recommend this to anybody, my best beer by far, not even a hint of homebrew taste.
I am now starting the special edition ENDEAVORS PALE ALE and have high hopes, i shall update the forum when its done and also give a taste test update on my golden stag which will be a bit more aged by then
Very happy brewer:D

Hi Clarkey

Agreed, I started on the same stuff.. Coopers and Woodfordes. Even though those brews come out nice, I find this festival kit is the best I have done yet!

I have only tried the Golden Stag kit tho, does anyone know if the others are any good also?

I guess as I am a hoppy golden ale kinda guy, I like the Stag... Would not want to be disappointed with another kit - But you don't know if don't try it after all!!

Hi Clarkey

I have only tried the Golden Stag kit tho, does anyone know if the others are any good also?

I think I've tried as many as possible and I haven't had a bad one yet. Razorback IPA is similar to the Summer Ale but more citrus and very bitter, not everyones cup of tea but I really liked it. Check out my review in the kit section.

I was impressed with the Festival Porter, it is very good; dark, strong and perfect for dark wintery nights.

I'm currently drinking the Old Suffolk Strong Ale which is right up there with my favourite festival kits. Mine came out stronger than advertised at about 6.2% but its very drinkable. 2 of these in an evening and I'm wobbling about like a good'un. Will definately be doing this kit again.

I'm conditioning a festival limited edition Endevours pale ale which advertises a perfume of peanut! So that is on the list to try in a week or so.

They are probably one of the most expensive kits you can buy, but its for a reason, I've done a lot of these kits and they are all very enjoyable. :p

Well chaps after 4 weeks in the bottle i tried one and it is bang on, i would say this is better than the Razorback which i liked, it seems more balanced, not too hoppy or bitter to me.

Latest posts

Back