festival Razorback IPA alternatives?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth

Reaction score
Hi all, I thought the festival kits were all British. Seems the razorback IPA uses three American hop varieties. This in itself I don't mind, but doesn't it make it APA? Maybe they're grown in the UK anyway. I'd like to do this kit, but would rather buy a strong English made IPA if the ingredients in this one have had to be shipped over from America. I've emailed Festival to ask, but just in case I decide against this kit, is there any similar UK produced kit?
Cheers...

There are no British hops like the American hops used in American style IPAs. An English IPA is different. St. Peter's IPA, Brupaks India Pale Ale, Milestone IPA, Muntons Gold and Connoisseur IPAs and John Bull IPA are English IPA kits with English hops, I believe.

It's not that I'm after an American style IPA in particular, I'd just like a strong (5%+) and hoppy one. Wherever possible I prefer to buy British rather than imported anything, it's not an elitist 'proud to British' thing, more of a 'keep it local and sustainable' lifestyle choice. I know that isn't always possible and don't kid myself it is, I just like to know my options and after the reviews I really fancy this kit...

There are no British hops like the American hops used in American style IPAs. An English IPA is different. St. Peter's IPA, Brupaks India Pale Ale, Milestone IPA, Muntons Gold and Connoisseur IPAs and John Bull IPA are English IPA kits with English hops, I believe.

Do any come as highly recommended as the razorback? Looking like I might just go for it anyway...

I know where you're coming from, I've been looking for the same thing, but the majority of 2-can kits that contain additional hopping seem slanted towards the US-style beers.

I can recommend Muntons Gold, although I can't remember if it comes with additional hops - made a very nice beer, one of the better 2-can kits IMHO. And with any of them, you can always dry hop yourself, I find that Styrian Goldings and/or Fuggles are good for producing a more British-style beer. I've added equal amounts of each (20g) to a Coopers kit (Dark Ale) and it produced a very nice beer.

Do any come as highly recommended as the razorback? Looking like I might just go for it anyway...

If you have never had an American IPA it would be worth trying one before making 5 gallons. They are more intensely hoppy and bitter than English IPAs, and have a different hop flavour. Wetherspoons do them in bottles and cans for about £2, Bengali Tiger and Lagunitas IPA, for example.

All the Festival kits, which are made in England and will use English malt, the main bulk, get good reviews. Check out the kit review A-Z list in the kit review forum, and the manufacturer's website info:

http://ritchieproducts.uk/festival-premium-ale-kits/

The Pilgrim's Hope sounds good, and hoppy, with an English hop and an American hop - I like a blend of American and English hops. Golden Stag - two American hops - also sounds good.

Another UK kit option might be Better Brew IPA, which is only about £13, and gets excellent reviews on the kit review forum.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20223

Add a 1kg bag of malt extract and make it up to 20 litres, ABV around 5.2%. Most people seem to dry hop it, and you could buy a 100g packet of English hops, use 50g and save the other 50g for another brew.

Latest posts

Back