FG overshoot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, that isn't the case with final gravity. Each fermentation will be different and a different amount of yeast will stick to the bottom each time. And a different amount will stick to the top each time. This will throw off the reading by a random amount each brew
Ahhh... I always thought it comes off as the fermentation finishes and drops away. Every brew I notice big swings in the middle or later stages of the fermentation but it always seems to right itself (well, it did anyway).
I'm going to fish it out before bottling just to see if this is what has happened.

Ahhh... I always thought it comes off as the fermentation finishes and drops away.
Nope. When you're going to rack it (or even now if you're feeling brave), sanitise your fingers and pluck it out of the fermenter. It'll be covered in yeast.

Or at least that's what happened with mine. When you fish it out, let me know!

Nope. When you're going to rack it (or even now if you're feeling brave), sanitise your fingers and pluck it out of the fermenter. It'll be covered in yeast.

Or at least that's what happened with mine. When you fish it out, let me know!
Not feeling that brave 😅 Yeah when I fish it out I'll add a pic. I normally pick it out after I transfer so it's obviously covered then. Will be interesting to see.

With my BZ there seems to be a large difference between the probe and what is measured coming out of the recirc arm. I've seen a lot of people saying the same and just as many saying there isn't much of a difference.
This brew I tried to put into practice all the things I've learned since I got it and paid a lot of attention to the mash and it's temperature. I even tried putting wort down the overflow pipe when I thought it was raising a bit wildly.
I guess in this instance when I thought I was mashing at 67C I was probably still down around 63C.
It is the temperature of the mash that counts, not what comes out of the return pipe. If you calibrated your probe to the reading on the Brewzilla then that is your mash temperature. Put some lagging around the return pipe, make sure the reading is calibrated to the probe, while the mash is thick the stirring disperses cool and hot spots in the mash. Pay more heed to your read out than what is coming out of the return pipe.

For what its worth, my tilt is the same.. generally ok at the start.. variable at the end. I only really use it to track where fermentation is at, and as I'm a geek, I like looking at the charts in brewfather!.. I always pull off a sample at racking time and use a hydrometer to get an accurate reading and roll my eyes at how far off the tilt was again.

FWIW I have a Pill floating hydrometer and it's always way off at the start, but closer to reality at the end! I intend to do a more advanced calibration to see if that helps, but I am not too bothered as I use a proper hydrometer for both OG and FG, but it's nice to see the graph showing a decent curve and to see when it's done without counting bubbles!

Stayed at 1.008 on the ispindle and 1.013 with the hydrometer.
The ispindle was clean apart from some crud on the top. Has to be making it top heavy.

Attachments

• PXL_20221117_165958106.jpg
    PXL_20221117_165958106.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back