Overattenuation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookyy2k

Reaction score
I brewed what will go on to be a fruit sour.

I'm using a two stage process where the wort is fermented in the primary with US-05 before being transferred to the secondary with a hit of lacto, pedi, and Brett then left for 12 months before fruit is added and further maturation takes place.

I Mashed hot and short to try and get plenty of sugars the sacc couldn't touch ready for the next organisms to get to it.

My concern is the us-05 has massively overshot the recipe FG. The recipe OG was 1.053 and I hit that, but the recipe FG (after primary) is 1.012 and I've hit 1.004!

That does not leave much for the bugs to get active making the extra flavours I want from them.

What's the best way to boost the souring here given the lack of sugar left over. I have spraymalt and tablesugar on hand if either of those would work (and not drastically change my brew).

The extra alcohol for the bugs to contend with shouldn't be too much of a worry given the lab rates all strains with alcohol tolerance at least 10%.

Brett will find something to go at, I wouldn't worry.

"I believe the idea that Brettanomyces requires dextrins to create its myriad flavors is the biggest myth to tackle now that everyone understands that it is yeast not bacteria. Brett is the omnivore of the worty plains. Depending on the strain, it will metabolize glycosides from fruit, hops, and spices; the sugar trehalose released by autolysis; amino acids; cellobiose from wood; and lactose."

https://byo.com/article/all-about-brett/
Although if you wanted to try something, here's an interesting piece on using whole wheat pasta to replicate the turbid mash used in lambic production. Literally food for thought.

https://beerbybart.com/2014/04/02/slow-learning-sour-beer-experiments/

Although if you wanted to try something, here's an interesting piece on using whole wheat pasta to replicate the turbid mash used in lambic production. Literally food for thought.
Interesting, I do have some flaked wheat lying around, might just steep that for a bit then add the starchy result.

Back