Filter on Corny Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndysGray

Reaction score
Just wondering on thoughts on filtering...

Those who use Corny kegs will probably understand the problem, but for benefit of others, the Corny keg has a dip tube which goes RIGHT to the bottom of the keg - there is actually a small dimple at the bottom so you can get every last drop out.

Of course that means anything that settles out will actually be picked up at the outlet.

I was thinking about using the commercial 10" filters which are quite cheap ;- filter.jpg

and either splicing it into the outlet line to the tap, or, I have seen them advertised with a pair of Corny outlet connectors so it would be possible to pressure decant from one Corny to another filtering while doing so.

Any suggestions of potential pitfalls with either method, or indeed other methods?

Thanks
Andy

Crash cool your FV to -1 for 2 or 3 days then transfer your beer. Anything left in the beer will be in your first pint after you've left it in your keg for a week. If there is anything substantial its going to block the dip tube anyway

Thanks Graz,

interesting concept but been done before - I remember a friend had the top tap rotokeg which had a floating pickup similar to this.

I must admit I did briefly consider 'fine tuning' my dip tube with an angle grinder and cut-off disc so that the last few pints remained undisturbed..

I found just cutting about 1 cm off the dip tube works a treat. As long as you give the beer time to clear then the sediment is not picked up. I only have about 1/3 left in the bottom.

Latest posts

Back