Filtering hoppy beers into bottling bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer to add pellet hops directly into the FV when dry hopping because that maximizes the surface area of hops that come into contact with the beer so you get far more aroma. To stop clogging up your siphon I always cold crash and then put one of these hop spiders https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainles...hash=item4d9859be15:m:m-wZ1CTdVPoOOTRyotpg9fg into the FV, you put your siphon into the spider which stops any particles from getting into your siphon. You should use the larger 30cm version. It works brilliantly because there’s so much surface area it doesn’t clog or stop the beer flowing.
Thanks for this suggestion. That will work superbly I reckon!

I feel you're pain having been there a few time with this.

I now cold crash for a day or two before siphoning and use one of these on the end of the cane (eBay/Amazon/AliExpress/etc.):

10pcs-Homebrew-Inching-Siphon-Filter-For-Beer-Brewing-Wine-Making-Mesh-Tool-52-28mm-.jpg

As others have also already said don't lower it all the way down to start off with, start in the middle of the FV and gradually lower as it empties.

Latest posts

Back