filtering when pouring bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillsmit

Reaction score
I've just finished conditioning an ipa (bru pak linthwaite light). And its mostly cleared but there seems to be a few clumps floating in the beer itself. I assume these are clumps of yeast. Has this happened because i didn't leave it in primary long enough? I basically waited for a week got two same sg readings and bottled.

My main query is about using one of those paper coffee filters to filter the beer as i pour it. Has anyone used these before and is it a good idea to use this to get rid of the floaters? Thanks in advance.

Also are the floaters harmless? I've had a few beers and it tastes very good.

Thanks in advance.

The floaters you are seeing are all part of homebrew. They are nothing to worry about. In my pale and IPA I usually use 8-10 ounces of hops on top of a dry hop addition. The first couple pints I pour have clumps of hops floating in them. It's nothing that will hurt you, but I usually dump it until I get a clean pour just so I can evaluate the beer a little better without hops hitting me in the upper lip.

I'd say if you are serving the beer to folks maybe run it through your coffee filter simply for presentation, but other than that don't fret over it. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

btw arti , that hoegaarden clone recipe is great i didnt add seeds of paridise but everything else is same ish and my fav brew at mo , so once again cheers (im gonna brew it again this weekend with lemon added too) :thumb:

thanks for the quick replies i was a little concerned every time i drunk a bottle i may keel over, so will a coffee filter work? As you say i only fancy filtering it to give out to people so they dont think what on earth are those floaters!

Latest posts

Back