Filtering.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk

Reaction score
I have some bottles of mead I made close to a year back.
I fermented and racked the mead and then stabilised.
Left it to become really clear and then passed through a filter - Boots one.

The mead has sat in bottles for about a year and there is now a very fine deposit at the base of the bottles.
This deposit is slight and very fine but owing to it's fineness gets disturbed easily.

I am debating filtering it again, but I have seen something called Harris Filter Cake. The blurb say for use with a Harris filter system.

Anyone used this?
What is it like?
Also how is it used?

Thanks.

if i remember rightly the cake was a simple presure fed filter plate system which was very easy to use.

if i have to filter i normal use the harris filter which is a disk shaped container that holds a filter disk in it and you syphon the wine from one demi john to another via the harris filter.

if the filter pads is not where you want to go try using an adative called finnings, they work by collecting the sediment into slightly largere masses so the settle on the demi john floor and stay there

Hi Kirk, if you don't already have dual membership I would suggest you register with Harris's own winemaking forum, and then you can pose your question to the manufacturer.

I believe the filter coat/cake system works with an old style Harris filter system, which I seem to recall using many years ago and thinking it was bloody awful, but there's one member on that forum who swears by them. I don't recall exactly (it was 30+ years ago) but they were powders you mixed with water, which then coated a disc or bag.

I'll take the Vinbrite with its paper filter pad any day :thumb:

The filter cake seems to be a powder, or similar.
Also seen it or similar called Polish.
Seemed strange to use a powder, never did figure out how it worked.

I have the Boots filter unit, similar I guess to the Vinbrite one and these days the pads are made by Vinbrite, they are simply a different diameter. So I guess the filtering is much the same. Have to say always been happy with it.

Seems I will have to either accept it as it is, the mead that is, or filter a second time and hope to catch the recent deposit.

Evening.

Do you need to filter it? Is it going to a show? The reason I ask is that I have had a few recently with a really fine dusty sediment.

Once it was in the glass and swilling past my tonsils, I never noticed a thing 'govner.

Hic....Hic....

Steve

It's there and I know it is there. I want the stuff clear. :pray:
Rather like a scratch on a car, doesn't slow it down, uses no more fuel, cannot be seen when driving, no increase in wind or road noise. Just annoying. :shock:

Latest posts

Back