Final Gravity question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesandbeer

Reaction score
What’s the main reason for not reaching an intended FG?

My second AG (Greg Hughes Milk Stout) hit the OG numbers but has been in the fermentation fridge at the recommended 20degs for 2 weeks and has only got down to 1.024 (tested over 4 days) of the target of 1.018

I’m not too bothered about strength but just wondered if there’s something I’m doing wrong.

Not enough viable yeast at pitching.
'More' unfermentable sugars present in the beer which elevate the gravity. Mash conditions may affect unfermentables; others may be able to advise more on this. I assume you have allowed for the effect of the lactose as an unfermentable sugar.
There may be other reasons.

What’s the main reason for not reaching an intended FG?

My second AG (Greg Hughes Milk Stout) hit the OG numbers but has been in the fermentation fridge at the recommended 20degs for 2 weeks and has only got down to 1.024 (tested over 4 days) of the target of 1.018

I’m not too bothered about strength but just wondered if there’s something I’m doing wrong.

same probably here buddy Dunkle Weizen stuck at 1.020, I've tried all sorts to get it lower just going to bottle and drink it now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've had done fermentations that have taken up to a month to hit fg...with the last few points taking ages to shift and with no apparent movement in a few days. You could leave it another week or two...it won't harm it. Others have had more yeadt,a good stir up or gradual temp increase to the upper end....some have had all. But...I'm only talking a handful over a few years...
Perhaps that's it.

What was your recipe?
I had a porter end up higher than expected and came to the conclusion that a high percentage of specialty grains was the culprit.

Did you use the same yeast he recommended? I made a 15l batch of this last year but only had 100g of lactose and used Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire, it finished at 1.020 from 1.056 so if I'd used more lactose I'd have ended up over 1.020.

Back