Finishing this tincture...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout Brewing

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick tincture question. I've been making one ready to pop into secondary using cocoa nibs and a vanilla pod soaked in vodka.

I gave them about a week, passed it through a coffee filter and then I've popped the jar in the freezer as read there will be fats I need to separate out.

The liquid looks to have split nicely but now wondering best way to split off?

I was thinking to just try and pour the top, clean layer off but wondered if there's a better way? If I pass it again will that work or will the solid fats melt to quickly and just dissolve back in?

Any thoughts would be grand!

Put it in the freezer, the fat will solidify first then you can pour off what's left.

When I made a tincture for a stout I fired the whole lot into the primary and it turned out fine, good head retention etc...

Put it in the freezer, the fat will solidify first then you can pour off what's left.

When I made a tincture for a stout I fired the whole lot into the primary and it turned out fine, good head retention etc...

Grand thank you Harry! Will get it done. Very happy with how it’s smelling so can’t wait to see how it works in the rexipe

Sounds like a good tip. I used cacoa nibs in a Velveteen milk choc stout laat year and even when dispensed with nitro and stout tap does not hold any head after about 2 mins in the glass.

I used a lot of wheat and oats in the last stout I made to help head retention, and maybe I got lucky with the cacao, vanilla and coconut I used not being particularly fatty or oily.

I've done similar with a Cooper's Irish stout kit and it was the same, good head retention from pour to empty.

Last edited:
Back