First All Grain Day - TTL

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMB

Reaction score
Morning brewers. Long time lurker, first time poster ....

I'm doing my first homebrew for about 30 years this morning - a Timothy Taylor's Landlord clone all grain recipe from Malt Miller. I used to do kits way back in the day when I was a teenager - with very mixed results - but have been inspired by a mate to take up the hobby again. It also coincides with a recent mass clearout of my garage which has allowed me to setup a "brewing area".

I know the gateway brew is supposed to be via malt extracts, but I got seduced by the shiny stuff and brought a Mash Kettle so am going somewhat in at the deepend.

So far, so good. Currently mashing the grains after having cleaned all the kit last night. I boiled up a batch of water in the kettle in case there were any residue chemicals/oils from the production process. The kit came with a Wyeast "smack pack", which I've given a good smack. It's now swelling nicely - ohh Matron!

I let you know how it goes.

Well that all went remarkably well for a first time brew. Only one real drama. When starting the boil I nearly had a boil over, despite there being a lot of head-space in the kettle. A bit of vigorous stirring for about 30 seconds got it under control, plus putting the hop-spider in seemed to help to dissipate the foam.

OG came in at 1.042, which was just a little shy of the recipe target of 1.045, but I can live with that.

A few pics of "the rig" below. Very pleased with Klarstein. It maintained the desired mash temp to within a few degrees, and kept a nice gentle rolling boil when set to the max (103C). I've seen a few youtube videos that recommended this setting, and it was spot on.

A few things I wasn't expecting:

1) Look a lot longer than expected to get the wort down to desired temp post boil - about an hour. The wort chiller got it to about 25C but then the temp just would not move. In the end I transferred the wort to the fermenter at that temp and then put the fermenter it in the fridge for a while to get it to 20C before pitching the yeast. The main issue I think is that the wort chiller sits quite high in the wort - the top couple of loops were above the wort level. I may need to extent the vertical bits of the tubes so it sits lower.

2) Lots of brown scale at the bottom of the kettle when I was cleaning it afterwards. Is that what is known as "beer Stone"? Came off with some Barkeeper's Friend and a lot of elbow grease.

3) iSpindel calibration seems out of whack .The gravity using the hydrometer was 1.042, iSpindel showing 1.034! Temperature is spot on though.

IMG_0659.JPEG

IMG_0658.JPEG
IMG_0660.JPEG

I struggled to get wort down to pitching temp when using a chiller, so I have stuck with no chill (have a look at discussions here about it , but certainly shortens brew day). Sound like you have a bit of scorched wort on the element , happens a lot of you have any control over element you can try lower settings.
I love my I spindle but they are not the most accurate, good for monitoring progress but not for accurate measurements, again a good thread on here all about it.

O and get brewfather if you haven't already.

Well that all went remarkably well for a first time brew. Only one real drama. When starting the boil I nearly had a boil over, despite there being a lot of head-space in the kettle. A bit of vigorous stirring for about 30 seconds got it under control, plus putting the hop-spider in seemed to help to dissipate the foam.

OG came in at 1.042, which was just a little shy of the recipe target of 1.045, but I can live with that.

A few pics of "the rig" below. Very pleased with Klarstein. It maintained the desired mash temp to within a few degrees, and kept a nice gentle rolling boil when set to the max (103C). I've seen a few youtube videos that recommended this setting, and it was spot on.

A few things I wasn't expecting:

1) Look a lot longer than expected to get the wort down to desired temp post boil - about an hour. The wort chiller got it to about 25C but then the temp just would not move. In the end I transferred the wort to the fermenter at that temp and then put the fermenter it in the fridge for a while to get it to 20C before pitching the yeast. The main issue I think is that the wort chiller sits quite high in the wort - the top couple of loops were above the wort level. I may need to extent the vertical bits of the tubes so it sits lower.

2) Lots of brown scale at the bottom of the kettle when I was cleaning it afterwards. Is that what is known as "beer Stone"? Came off with some Barkeeper's Friend and a lot of elbow grease.

3) iSpindel calibration seems out of whack .The gravity using the hydrometer was 1.042, iSpindel showing 1.034! Temperature is spot on though.

View attachment 97830

View attachment 97831View attachment 97832
Well done! Is it happily fermenting away now?

Well done on the brew day and nice write up. Looking forward to your next brew day blog.

Latest posts

Back