First attempt at pear cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnitaB

Reaction score
Here goes! We are all set to pick, chop and press our pears this weekend with the help of the village cricket team.

I have set up a blog so that you can follow the process. I will be including as much information as possible so that it can be useful to anyone else considering giving it a go.

Blog link - http://jmibo.com/2009pearcider/

There are some more pictures to add later.

I hope you find it useful!

Anita

sounds good to me, would this not be a perry though? rather than a pear cider?

watched a program recently where it said that all pear ciders must contain at least some apple juice for it to be called a cider, where as anything that it made from 100% pears would be called a perry?

can anyone clear it up?

great blog , and good luck ;)

The way I heard it (think it was in whats brewing or beer) was that at Glastonbury a while ago Brothers were trying to sell some perry but kept getting asked what it was, they said it's like cider but with pears instead of apples. They got so sick of repeating it that they just ended up calling it pear cider. Like the advert with that bespectacled comic for Bulmer's, the fruit in pear cider can be 100% pears.

Which brings me neatly on to a topic I'm furious about. Pear cider = perry, we already have a word for perry so why do we need pear cider? Also as a direct result of calling it pear cider it piggy-backed on the frankly bizarre success of Magners (bizarre given its sickly sweet and synthetic flavour... maybe not that bizarre come to think of it) and ice. ICE for god's sake! And we have atrocities lining the supermarket aisles and people saying they like cider.

I need a drink!

While I have already had a rant somewhere about the issue of cider being, by definition, a fermented drink made from apples, I'm afraid I have to concede that “Pear Cider” is a clever marketing ploy.

Let's face it, the general public can understand it easily, it's like cider but made from pears.

No wonder the marketing lot have steered rapidly away from “Perry” when Joe Public (or more particularly his other half, Jane?) associate Perry with Babycham or Lambrini :sick:

Well, I toyed with the idea of calling it perry or pear cider and decided on pear cider because this had more lure for the cricketer muscle and effort that I need. I might have gone for castomoniale and ended up doing it all myself! :cheers:

AnitaB said:
Well, I toyed with the idea of calling it perry or pear cider and decided on pear cider because this had more lure for the cricketer muscle and effort that I need. I might have gone for castomoniale and ended up doing it all myself! :cheers:

i can imagine how much help you would of got if you asked for help to pick pear`s so you could knock some babycham up lol

Sorry to drag this up/ But true Perry is made only from Perry pears. Now Im only saying this cause OZ and James visited a perry farm near hereford. and cause they said it it MUST be true....

AFAIK (and I don't know much) it just has to be pears, but there are special varieties of pear which have been selectively bred for better perry, just like there are cider apples, it doesn't mean it isn't cider if you don't use them.

Latest posts

Back