First attempt with S-23 lager yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
does anyone have any experience with the above yeast? I pitched a packet into a lager on Saturday and have put it in the fridge at 14°C but there is very little sign of activity yet - no bubbling or positive pressure in the airlock.
I've only ever used ale yeasts before so I don't know if this is normal or not; is it slower to ferment due to the low temperatures or should I give it a gentle stir?

Ive used this yeast a few times, usually the temp is around 16-18 ish. Ive never had problems, usually started within 12 hours, sometimes quicker. Maybe a gentle stir might get it going. The temperature youve got it at is ok, i probably ferment it a little too high i think.
Mike

Hmm, mine has been in there for over 36 hours so I think a stir and a shot of yeast vit may be in order.

Any sign of life? I've used S-23 a good few times from 11C to 15C and have never had a problem, the lag time is less than 12 hours. I always rehydrate beforehand with 100ml boiled water at 23C + -3C. Hope it goes ok for you

Well, I checked it today and despite no bubbling in the airlock, the SG had dropped from 1039 to 1030. There's not much of a yeast head ion the FV; is this normal for a bottom ferementing yeast?

Yes. When I first made turbo cider I was extremely confused as the yeast I used was definitely not a top cropper like all of my previous beer yeasts had been. I thought nothing was happening until I checked the SG and noticed it was dropping!

I've never made a lager before, but I would assume that the colder temperature will slow fermentation down a bit compared to an 18-20c ferment for an ale.

Good to know, thanks. I really can't afford for this one to go wrong as I'm using more expensive speciality grains and I'm monopolising the entire kegerator to ferment the thing!

It will be fine with a single packet, but I wouldn't plan on re-pitching the yeast to another brew when you're done as the yeast could be stressed.

Pretty much all homebrew is under pitched except of course for those with microscopes doing cell counts and viability tests on their yeast before pitching, so I wouldn't worry yourself about it :thumb:

Latest posts

Back