First Batch Ever

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viamphie

Reaction score
Good Morning Folks.

I‘m a newbie here and to the whole brewing idea. As is probably the case with most people, brewing at home is something I’ve always wanted to try and now that I have the time (too much) I thought I’d give it a try.
The first batch of Robinson’s Pineapple and Passionfruit wine is very good. No idea of the ABV because it seems I confused alcometers with hydrometers. With help from this forum and YouTube I’ve secured 16 bottles of the stuff and it works. There would have been more but somehow the tap was dripping overnight after transferring it.

Just one mistake of the many I’m probably going to make along the way.

Anyhoo Im looking forward reading and participating as much as I can.

Thanks. The hydrometer turned up today. I’ve repeated my original recipe but the hydrometer appears to be sitting very high off the scale. Looks like I have some more reading to do.

Thanks. The hydrometer turned up today. I’ve repeated my original recipe but the hydrometer appears to be sitting very high off the scale. Looks like I have some more reading to do.
It sounds like you're using a beer hydrometer, which doesn't go up to the higher gravity levels for winemaking. Remember to use it to measure the final gravity, to check that fermentation has reached the required level.

Thanks for the reply. It’s the correct hydrometer and indicates potential alcohol up to 17% and the scale goes down to 120. Of course remembering that I’m an idiot helps. Calculating per gallon before diluting didn’t help. Recalculation indicates the first batch was about 10%. The dandelion wine however is still off the scale.

Back