First Brew, stupid question time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodrell

Reaction score
I should probably have asked this question before I did what I've just done but it's too late now . . .

I'm making a Woodforde's Wherry kit. It's been on the go for 5 days now and the SG has reached the required (according to the box) 1.014 so I've just syphoned everything from the fermenting bin into the pressure barrel, and I do mean everything. That's what I'm worried about. Should I have left all the gunk from the bottom of the fermenting bin or, as I have done, added it all into the barrel.

If I shouldn't have, is there any way of saving it?

jodrell said:
I've just syphoned everything from the fermenting bin into the pressure barrel, and I do mean everything.

No you should have left it all in the FV :eek:
It will all settle to the bottom again in a couple of days.

Leave it to settle out syphon of into your Fv then throw away the grubby stuff ( yeast and other stuff) then put your brew back into the keg :thumb:

bugger, I had a feeling that would be the case. Oh well, doesn't sound like I've done any irreparable damage. Thanks for the quick answers :-)

I've just bottled a Wherry on Saturday and I've still got the box to hand.

In all fairness to Jodrell, the instructions are very basic and would seem to assume some prior brewing knowledge or experience.

“3. Add the yeast, cover the fermenter and leave to stand for 4-6 days in a warm place (between 18-20°C, 65-70°F). Fermentation will be complete when bubbles cease to rise (if you use a hydrometer, when the gravity remains constant below 1014°).

4. Transfer the beer into bottles or a pressure barrel with a little sugar (half a teaspoon per pint) to help condition the beer. Stand bottles or barrel in a warm place for two days then allow 14 days in a cool place or until beer has cleared.”

That's it, that's all it says.

Given that many people might be brewing for the first time, I think that sucks.

Jodrell, for future reference in case you try another of these kits, fermentation may well be finished in 4-6 days but you should really leave it in the covered fermenter until at least day 10 to allow a sediment to start to form and compact. When you bottle or barrel, try to leave behind as much of the gunk as you can, and then leave your bottles or barrel in a warm place for 5-7 days before moving somewhere cooler for at least 4 weeks.

Your right Moley those instructions suck for a newbie :thumb: How would you know what was right or wrong!
It's been a while since I seen any instructions and then when I did I had prior knowledge about brewing.
This needs a petition to the kit makers to make things better! :D Oh no on the other hand we wouldn't have new members joining and keeping this place full of knowledge :?

Back