First brew suddenly gone wrong in bottle...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkypar

Reaction score
Hi all
Not sure what's happened but hoping someone may be able to shed some light!

Was my first attempt after being given a Cooper Canadian Lager kit, all went well as follows

- all fermenting etc went well and bottled
- left for two weeks; tried and tasted grassy which suggested it just needed to mature a little more?7
- week later tasted better but not great
- week later tasted pretty nice, wife described it as tasting "Christmassy" and mate described it as a bit like a Belgian beer. Result! :party: Went through half a dozen bottles over about a week all tasting the same.
- didn't try any for a couple of weeks then opened one and it tasted awful! 'Vinegary' is the best I can describe it so it went down the sink. 3 more went that way. :(
- Tried another couple last night and they were both exactly the same.

Is it possible I got lucky with the first few bottles tasting great, or have they just gone off??!?!?!!?!

Disappointed but prepared to put the batch down the plughole and down to experience, but would be good to maybe know what has happened.

Hi mate, what temp did you ferment at and where have you stored your beer? out of sunlight and somewhere cool?
the fact it tasted 'Christmassy' and 'Belgian' to start off with might have been a problem as I don't think the kit is meant to taste like that, being a blonde lager type brew, sounds like the yeast has screwed up. sounds like you might have got lucky with the first few bottles but now the vinegar has taken over. sorry to hear that. :(

abeyptfc said:
Hi mate, what temp did you ferment at and where have you stored your beer? out of sunlight and somewhere cool?
the fact it tasted 'Christmassy' and 'Belgian' to start off with might have been a problem as I don't think the kit is meant to taste like that, being a blonde lager type brew, sounds like the yeast has screwed up. sounds like you might have got lucky with the first few bottles but now the vinegar has taken over. sorry to hear that. :(

Not studying up before hand I wasn't keeping track of temperature. It's been stored in an internal room with no sunlight so does sound like an issue with the yeast from what you're saying.

Bugger. Ah well, on to the next, means I don't have to buy more bottles at least!!!

Latest posts

Back