First brew - Woodforde's Sundew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itbrvilla

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have started my fiest brew using the Sundew kit a couple of weeks ago with a OG of 1.040. I left it in the FV for 8 days at ~21c before using a turkey baster to remove some to check the FG which was 1.008 at days 8 and 10 respectively. I then transfered to the presure barrel (In hindsight having started visiting this forum, I should of left it in FV for a few more days), with 100g brewing sugar dissolved in 200ml hot water. Unfortunately being a novice I accidently got a single drop of water from the bottom of the airlock into my brew and really hope this hasn't contaminated it.

When I checked the FG I had a taste, it was very cloudy and smelt quite hoppy and beery, however, it lacked any characer, was bland and watery. I understand that this will change during conditioning and with time, but is it normal for a LME kit to have no real taste at this stage?

It is currently at ~20c and has been since Friday evening. What do you guys think I should do with this now?

Cheers Ian

What you describe about the taste seems to be normal for this brew. Have a look at some of the reviews and you will see what I mean. I doubt the drop of water will make any difference, so don't worry. :cheers:

Cheers Bob. Should I move it to somewhere cooler yet or should I be looking to keep it warmer than the suggested 2 days? (today is day 4)

P.S. When should I expect it to clear? It is also quite dark compared to the picture, I guess this will change with conditioning?

Can anyone advise me as to when I should move the barrel somewhere cooler? I've had it in the PB for 4 day. Does it need longer at room temp?

Cheers

I'd leave it for a week or so before moving it to somewhere cooler, give the yeast plenty of chance to feed on the new sugar and generate some pressure. The taste will develop massively over the coming weeks so don't worry that it isn't ready to drink yet, a recent Wherry kit I did wasn't any good for around 5 weeks.

1 week or best 2 weeks at around 20c and then a few weeks at lower temp say 15/16 Garage is idea, or a garden shed

And then should be ready, with homebrew unfortunately its a time thing the longer you leave it the better it gets.

Get another brew on and start stocking up

Latest posts

Back