First conical pressure fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Hanson

Reaction score
I've been home brewing simply for years . By that I mean traditional from grain, fermentation buckets and bottling after priming. Recently, I have taken the plunge on a Fermzilla with pressure kit.

I'm looking to ferment and serve, so using the kit as an all-in-one.
I've a couple of scatter gun questions about this kit I'm hoping you can help with.

1) At what point do I take change the collection chamber to remove the trub/yeast?
How do you tell? Is it 1 day - or many days?

2) What PSI should I set the spindling valve to pressure ?
My cellar keeps a nice 65F to 68F temperature and I like a stout.

3) Can I expect to pour straight from the vessel?
Does the PSI need to be increased as the liquid drops?

4) I have a soda stream style CO2 bottle. Will this suffice?
Do I need a full CO2 tank?

5) Will I need a full CO2 tank to bottle using a beer gun?

Sorry for so many questions, but hopefully I can piece together the parts and gain a better understanding of the direction I'm taking.

Many thanks in advance.

I don't have one of these so am just going by the pics and how I think it would work, so hopefully someone else can clarify or confirm.

1 I think either when its full or your ready to serve
2 sorry no idea for fermentation and for serving use a carbonation chart
3 From the picture below it looks like you have to use it like a corny keg so you will need the ball lock valves and beer line to a tap and gas line to your CO2 source.
fermzilla-pressure-kit.jpg

4 Yes but in the long term a full size cylinder would make more sense.
5 You need some CO2 the soda stream will still work just run out quicker,

Ill try to answer this for you . I own one i have had one for a year.

I've been home brewing simply for years . By that I mean traditional from grain, fermentation buckets and bottling after priming. Recently, I have taken the plunge on a Fermzilla with pressure kit.

I'm looking to ferment and serve, so using the kit as an all-in-one.
I've a couple of scatter gun questions about this kit I'm hoping you can help with.

1) At what point do I take change the collection chamber to remove the trub/yeast?
How do you tell? Is it 1 day - or many days?
Leave it untill the brew is done.

2) What PSI should I set the spindling valve to pressure ?
I set mine to 15.

My cellar keeps a nice 65F to 68F temperature and I like a stout.

3) Can I expect to pour straight from the vessel?
Does the PSI need to be increased as the liquid drops?
Fermenta are uni tanks so you can serve from the tank. You will need to experiment with the aplication of gas. With regards of head and foam on the pint.

4) I have a soda stream style CO2 bottle. Will this suffice?
Do I need a full CO2 tank?
It may be best to get a co2 tank as you have a greater pressure aswell as a larger storage

5) Will I need a full CO2 tank to bottle using a beer gun?

Not necessarily. Do you need a full tank of fuel to drive your car?

Top tip i found.

Before you think about fermenting .pressure test it make it air tight gas it and leave it for time. Then pressure test it and make it air tight!!! I find turning it upside down under pressure really shows off where the air maybe getting in.
Add the wort get it all set up just after the yeast was added then give it a blast of pressure to say 15psi. Then leave it for half hour. Check it holds the pressure. If its good release and let a bit of air in it. Then leave it with out pressure and normal air. Ive learnt a super ferment under pressure co2 takes ages as of the lack of 02. Give it a bit to start and it seems to like it more.

Any questions just ask

Sorry for so many questions, but hopefully I can piece together the parts and gain a better understanding of the direction I'm taking.

Many thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back