First contaminated beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urbangoose

Reaction score
Recently made what I thought was a lovely Saison - gave out to friends, a couple said it wasn’t drinkable- cloudy, nasty bitter taste and looked like it was about to bubble over. Must be something that happened when bottling - saw a video, but couldn’t upload and it did look like it was fermenting. Any steer on where I went wrong?

No - it was the real deal, gain, Saidon yeast etc - like I say 85% all good, so must be bottle contamination... just hoping to understand what

I had great results with the Young's kit. I thought it was on par with BrewDog electric India...
it was my third brew, I made a few mistakes and think it picked up a little something extra, its pretty sharp =/

Yes...it is! Your third brew....saison are an acquired taste in my opinion. Three years ago I wouldn't have enjoyed one. My tastes have changed radically...saisons and sours quite interest me at the moment.

Yes...it is! Your third brew....saison are an acquired taste in my opinion. Three years ago I wouldn't have enjoyed one. My tastes have changed radically...saisons and sours quite interest me at the moment.
I have three bottles left, I was going to give them a year and try them then :)

Try one in a month. Next time you're in the supermarket buy yourself a bottle of saison...
I've had the Brewdog one, I liked the hoppiness but found the beer a bit sickley, maybe I need to work up to them :)

A few of BrewDog beers are hybrid or come across to meet as such...when I see something different or fancy trying to brew something I buy a few bottles of the style from different makers and have a "research" night. Time well spent!!

How can we talk tell you what went wrong when you haven't said what you did
Hi Leon

Just brewed normal All grain saison. Syphoned to bottle bucket, added cooled sugar, gentle stir - all item sterile. Bottled - caps via siphon wand into bottles (sterilised with Star SAN and capped. Same process done many times. To my knowledge only two bottles thus far out of 30 affected

Hi Leon

Just brewed normal All grain saison. Syphoned to bottle bucket, added cooled sugar, gentle stir - all item sterile. Bottled - caps via siphon wand into bottles (sterilised with Star SAN and capped. Same process done many times. To my knowledge only two bottles thus far out of 30 affected
Maybe some left over sediment hard caked in a couple of the bottles caused the infection? other wise the whole batch should have been contaminated?

Latest posts

Back