First ever attempt at wine, bottling questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clockhammer

Reaction score
So I started my first wine kit today, a Beaverdale Roja Tinto, seems straight forward so far and I actually enjoyed doing it.

My question is what kind of bottles does everyone use on here for wine?

I was going to bottle this batch using screw top wine bottles and if the wine is nice and I catch the home brew bug then I'll invest in a corking machine etc.

How long can wine be stored in a screw top bottle? Are corks a much better option?

thanks

I started off with corks, went to screw caps though. Just find them much easier and quicker. Also, you don't have to keep buying corks and a corker.

stevie1556 said:
I started off with corks, went to screw caps though. Just find them much easier and quicker. Also, you don't have to keep buying corks and a corker.

Is there a limit on how long you can store the wine with a screw cap?

thanks

I always use 1.5 litre spring water plastic bottles as i dont give my wine away so it doesn't matter what it looks like.

One problem with the metal screw tops is the threads wears quickly, i have read in the forum people only use them two or three times, if you don't need glass bottles use plastic. :thumb:

cheers guys.

Another question; the instructions with the kit say that after the initial fermentation the wine should be moved to the other container where the stabilizer etc is added. My other container does not have a lid with a grommet and airlock, is this correct? Do I only use the airlock lid during fermentation?

thanks

After stabilising there won't be any more gas produced fermentation but there will be some dissolved in the wine from earlier. A good shake and slight loosening of the bung once or twice a day for a few days will get shot of that. So a solid bung is fine. But I have plenty of locks so I tend to use one Just In Case.

Ive also been wondering about this as got first two batches of WoW on the go. They will probably be drunk fairly quickly so I was hoping just to use PET bottles but I read somewhere that you shouldnt use PET to store higher alcohol drinks?

For my apple win that will need to be matured i was planning to us

e recycled wine bottles with those cork/plastic stoppers. Will that work for keeping wines 1-2 years?

oldbloke said:
After stabilising there won't be any more gas produced fermentation but there will be some dissolved in the wine from earlier. A good shake and slight loosening of the bung once or twice a day for a few days will get shot of that. So a solid bung is fine. But I have plenty of locks so I tend to use one Just In Case.

thanks

Apricorn said:
Ive also been wondering about this as got first two batches of WoW on the go. They will probably be drunk fairly quickly so I was hoping just to use PET bottles but I read somewhere that you shouldnt use PET to store higher alcohol drinks?

e recycled wine bottles with those cork/plastic stoppers. Will that work for keeping wines 1-2 years?

What is classed as high alcohol?

Chippy_Tea said:
Apricorn said:

Good question. I recon my WoW will be aboit 16%, stronger than average wines

Apricorn said:
Chippy_Tea said:
Apricorn said:

Good question. I recon my WoW will be aboit 16%, stronger than average wines

I'm sure I read somewhere that the cork/plastic stoppers aren't great for long term storage, not sure if that's true though

Cork is great - used in a zillion wine bottles!
But you shouldn't let it dry out, coz then it shrinks.
Which is why wine is typically stored on its side (shops etc not there long enough to worry, plus foil cap extra protection)

oldbloke said:
Which is why wine is typically stored on its side (shops etc not there long enough to worry, plus foil cap extra protection)

Good info as always, thanks oldbloke. Would the samevapply to the cork with plastic top combo that you tend to get on a madeira wine for example?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the cork/plastic stoppers aren't great for long term storage, not sure if that's true though

It makes sense as they are quite easy to pull out. Thanks

Apricorn said:
oldbloke said:

Good info as always, thanks oldbloke. Would the same apply to the cork with plastic top combo that you tend to get on a madeira wine for example?

The fortified wines have that little extra resistance to spoiling that the higher ABV gives. Also, the cork there is more of a gasket between the stopper and the bottle, but if it felt actually loose when pulling it I'd start to worry. Of course sherry is partly oxidised anyway.

Must admit I keep going through to the kitchen to check the bubbler, exciting :cheers:

clockhammer said:
Must admit I keep going through to the kitchen to check the bubbler, exciting :cheers:

You know how you ignore your kids making noise but run to find out what's wrong when they go quiet?
You'll be like that with your airlocks soon.

Good point oldbloke. But how about the PET for a WoW that going to be in the bottle for a month. Are we safe?

oldbloke said:
clockhammer said:

You know how you ignore your kids making noise but run to find out what's wrong when they go quiet?
You'll be like that with your airlocks soon.

Haha, nice one

Back