First ever brew...yeasty?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapefruitmoon

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had a few pints of my first ever home brew (using kits for the moment, intending to go AG when I have a bit more experience!). It's a Milestone IPA, been in the barrel for 4 weeks conditioning as per the kit instructions. Now it tasted pretty decent, quite drinkable. But I get a sort of yeasty aroma...like when it's in primary fermentation. Is this something that happens, or have I screwed up somewhere do you think? Seems a bit odd to me.

ey up gfm , used to do quite a few kits [last one was a milestone] never noticed so much of an aroma more of a underlying similar taste to them [all drinkable tho] wonder if aroma thing is due to lack of hops , im sure someone in the know will be along later

That underlying taste is cause they are kits. the wort is simply not as fresh as AG wort and this slight staleness ends up in the ale, and thats what you taste.
Or so the Gurus of ale tell me...

yeh frisp id been thinking along these lines for a while so i started taking samples down to LHBS where id been purchasing yet he,d taste em then question my sanity ,so one day i took a sample of a brew that had got a definate infection [he took one sip and said it was fine] that was the defining moment for the holy grail of ag [not saying all LHBS are this way he,s more of a wine merchant] and im not knocking kits its all a learning curve

Have been working in Donny for last 3 weeks, a mate at work called in to get some stuff (he's just starting out) And got the impression, he didn't really know stuff about beer making and chat just wanted to sell you stuff and leave.

he,s like an old headmaster [hope he,s not reading this tho i doubt it, he,ll be stuck into a bottle of merlot and dissing his punters to his friends] but i think he,s ok deep down just likes dishing bollockings

Frisp said:
That underlying taste is cause they are kits. the wort is simply not as fresh as AG wort and this slight staleness ends up in the ale, and thats what you taste.

It is because they are kits. Nearly everything I've done (all kits) has that yeasty taste. It just depends upon the quality of the kit chosen and ingredients. :cry:

The Seer said:
It is because they are kits. Nearly everything I've done (all kits) has that yeasty taste. It just depends upon the quality of the kit chosen and ingredients. :cry:

ill have to disagree with you there, ive made a couple of kits infact im drinking one now and not one of them as tsted yeasty.

muddydisco said:
Have been working in Donny for last 3 weeks

Donny eh, nothing like a bit of local vocab ;) There's a cracking HBS on the outskirts of Shef, near woodseats (and major A-roads) - www.thebrewmart.co.uk - much more cynical staff ;) That's my LHBS, but it's a 45-min each way cycle. Thankfully there's an almost-overpriced but awesome chippie over the road!

Thanks for the replies! Well I've been drinking it for about 10 days and the yeasty aroma seems to be going away. Very drinkable indeed (too drinkable the wife would say...).

Frisp said:

Absolutely right!, I used to try a whole mannor of kits, from dark mild to lager which all had that "kit" taste, the 2 can kits are a lot better but even when I get fresh yeast from my local brewery that bloody taste remains and the general thought is because it's condensed malt
:nono: tho it all goes down the cake hole ok :cheers:

leeboozer said:
yeh mate do you know it
How big is the shop in balby, i live about 30mins away and was gonna have a drive up to see what it is like but if it is only small I won't go out my way for a viewing. The owner sounds remarkably like the owner of the homebrew shop in york lol

Latest posts

Back