First ever extract brew - do these recipes look any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops! Apologies - didn't realise it was for a 10 litre batch, so i've probably confused you. In that case, you're probably quite on the ball with what you're doing.

A few things though - Beersmith makes converting pretty easy, so you might consider trying it out, it's free for 20 days. You just punch in the AG and click convert - but you might have to partial mash. There's free recipe tools online too, it's worth a once over before you brew. In that vein, your next step could be to try partial mash - it's not very hard if somebody explains it properly like nobody did for me, and it'll give you even more freedom with your brew.

Home and commercial brewing often works in percentages rather than weights, reason is that you can always get the quantities right. If you had a brew that's 1kg total grains - 660g DME and 330g Crystal Malt for example, DME would be 66% and Crystal Malt would be 33% of the bill.

The lower volume of your boil, the less effective your hop bittering will be. Again, this is why I'd shove it in a calculator, I recently accidentally brewed a beer with 8 IBU's - it was lovely though. :p

Most ales will drop to roughly 1.010 - 1.015 ish, depends entirely on the contents but as a general guideline for a malt and hop based beer, that's it.

Bear in mind that Wheat Malt will cause your boil to flare up even more, my last one went over with about 3 inches of headroom. After the flaring up stage though, it will only lose volume, so you could even consider boiling in 2 seperate pots to start with, just until that part is over.

As for steeping malts, check them against the style of beer you want to make, they're usually relatively specific.

Hopefully all of this is somewhat useful to you...

Wow, thanks both Rob and thejesmonddingo.
I'll have to look at this. Having got myself all excited and sat in traffic through leyland to get my malt etc - bloody wednesday half day opening!!!! :oops:

I thought that ended with the last century, but obviously not in leyland. Anyway my fault for not checking the opening times. That has put me back a week or so as yesterday was the only evening where i had enough free time to do a brew for a while, i'll see if i can get one going for the weekend.

Rob the info on percentages and gravity is great i'll have a look in to that, i have not downloaded beersmith but i'll have a go if i can get it for mac.

Thanks again - all this is a massive help. :cheers:

Having finished my last bottle of this a few weeks ago, and since done another with a full boil time, i just thought i'd say a massive thanks to those who helped - both brews turned out great - slightly diferent in terms of bitterness, but both good in their own right.

The 30 min boil cock up actually turned out to be a great citrusy golden pale ale with excellent body and good head retention - everyone who tried it loved it!

The full boil version has taken a while to ferment as we have builders in nocking down various bits of the house so its a bit cold, and when i bottled it i forgot to check how much sugar i had in (so its a little under primed) from my first tast also tastes great, not too much difference, just slightly bitterer - going to leave it for a bit longer to condition though.

Thanks again - just thought i'd post this in case anyone worries about under boiling etc, or doesn't have the time to do 90 or 60 min boils.
Cheers
Matt

Back