first extract brew: a witbier (with pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rui

Reaction score
today a tried to brew my first extract batch.
i was thinking to do a hefeweizen, but because the yeast wasnt the right one i did aa witbier!! Like both types, so not a problem!! :thumb:
thanks pitsy for the advices.

the recipe was:
3,5kg of wheat malt extract
45 minuts 30 grs of hops HALLERTAU HERSBRUCKER
15 minuts 20grs of hops HALLERTAU HERSBRUCKER

7 minuts of 30grs of smashed coriander
7 minuts of 30grs dry orange peel

yeast was the brewferm blanche
batch of 20 liters
now i m waiting, i have it in a big freezer cooling (19ºc negatives)

the OG, was 1054.

anyone knows the atenuation value of this yeast?? :wha:

:cheers:

Rui

65% I think (found on another forum)

I just did my 1st extract brew yesterday :) and it was pitsy who lead me in the right direction too. So credit to him for being a great inspiration :hat:

its true, Pitsy is a great inspiration....and like me a wheat beer lover :drink:

thanks for the answer!!

now, i will check the temperature from the brew and pitch the yeast!!

Rui

Mine took ages to get down to a sensible temp ......... despite having buckets of ice!

Tell me, did you use hop/ grain bags ..... or just the strainer?

Pjam said:
Mine took ages to get down to a sensible temp ......... despite having buckets of ice!

Tell me, did you use hop/ grain bags ..... or just the strainer?

his was the first transfer...after this i put it in the cold, know i transferred to another fv using the strainer inside of a grain bag. Mine took 2 hours to cool do wn!!!

here i was just using the strainer

Rui

today i mesured the gravity and after five days is 1020 (OG - 1054 and Fg expected is 1012).

still has a massive krausen on top, 5cm high. i never had a krausen that stayed so long.... the temperature of fermentation untill was 20º-22ºC.
the smell is fruity and from the hops.

i tasted the sample that i took to check gravity, and was very pleasent, i notest the hops, the coriander and in the end the citrus from the orange!! i will check it again at saturday. i just hope that will turn out a good brew :pray:

Rui

Sounding good there , just so you know for next time if after it has conditioned and you still notice the hops then (unless you like it like that ) reduce the amount of hops ( mainly aroma hop assuming you're noticing hop aroma ) to match the style more , no hops should be noticeable . ;)

yes, that was y first thought....to many hops for the style, maybe......but because i m using hops - pellets- they were not so easy to filter..so i think the wort kept some rests of it...i will rack it to secondary before i bottle - at least one day- to remove the majority of hop rests....

but i like it....everyone thank i gave to try (after i have two hours in the cold - the sample that i took- like it!!!!!

i hope that continues like that ;)

Rui

A nylon bag same as the ones used for biab are great for getting out the bits as you get all your liquid in the barrel. I just use a great big rubber band and hilt mine to the top of the barrel and pour through it.

Donny70 said:
A nylon bag same as the ones used for biab are great for getting out the bits as you get all your liquid in the barrel. I just use a great big rubber band and hilt mine to the top of the barrel and pour through it.

i use the grain bags, they work fine!! but i liked your idea :thumb:

Today i took another sample to mesure gravity and it was 1016 (monday was 1020), taste its nice, the flavors are more round, you can taste the orange, the coriander the hops, but everything in harmony!! :D

Its nine days since i brew it, so i will give it more 6 days to be ready and let the yeast do her clean up :hmm:

i keeping the batch at 22ºC, because i m affraid that get stucked!!

sample that i took

Looking great, and hopefully ready to drink quickly. BIG up to Pittsy I was ready to give up on homebrew, until he pointed me in the right direction. I'm sat here now with a crisp, refreshing pilsner extract brew from the main man.

After eleven days of fermentation i achieve the FG expected, 1012!! Now i will give it some days until wednesday!! should i dicrease the temperature or keep at 21ºC???

Rui

i will do that!!!but just want this beer bottled,i m always affraid of contaminations or something else....wednesday i will bottle, if tomorrow gravity remains!!!i have time at that time and i can start brew another one :D

everyone here at home, seems to enjoy the sample :D :D :D

i m planning a lager, but that will come in another thread ;)

Rui

i will bottle today!!how much prime sugar should i use???!
i m thinking to use150grs to 160grs!!

rui said:

Great stuff , try 1 in a week it'll be heavy on the corri but that reduces after 2 weeks . They take around 4 weeks to be getting there best .

Pjam said:
Excellent. :D

For clarity I've started using a 2nd FV, but you may not need it.

Priming calculator ;) http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

i use a bottling bucket ;)
i didnt rack it to secondary because its a wheat beer, i want it cloudy :thumb:

so, i prime it, waiting to bottle and cleaning already some stuff!!
pittsy said:
rui said:

Great stuff , try 1 in a week it'll be heavy on the corri but that reduces after 2 weeks . They take around 4 weeks to be getting there best .

i will, i will, just to check it :whistle:

i dont see the hour that i try it......my first extract brew, more control of the beer making more curiosity :grin:

:hat:

today i cracked one after a week in the bottle, to check carbonation :whistle:

i am very happy with results :drink: :party:

Rui

Back